Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bald Eagle sighted at Blue Grass F&W area

Well yesterday I went fishing for a while. I saw a American Bald Eagle flying over Bluegrass F&W area. I've seen all sorts of wildlife out there in the last few years but this was by far one of the most exciting for me. Well the Bob Cat that I saw as pretty cool too. And I enjoyed seeing the Beavers swimming across the lake once. And another time I spotted some deer swimming across the water.

I had my camera with me but I could not get it out and ready in time to get a good shot of the eagle as it surprised me and my DSLR was inside the camera back and on the back deck of the boat where I could not get to it quickly.

So I just enjoyed watching the Eagle fly off into the distance. He had the White head feathers just like in the pictures that I've seen of the American Bald Eagles.

It was a good day yesterday. I trolled a while and caught several fish. What surprised me was that the bluegill were hitting my bait as I trolled at 1.5 mph. I added a secrete weapon to my trolling technique and it paved off big time.

I caught some really nice big bluegill, one bass and a white bass or what I use to call a KY lake Striper. I'll have to get the pictures on her.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't know those lakes had any whites in them til this year. I was fishing on Loon back around April and watched a guy catch one on a night crawler shortly after telling me he usually catches quite a few. He said they were strippers actually but I wasnt close enough to tell for sure which it was. Has anyone else caught any strippers or whites out of the big pits?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ptbuck View Post
    I didn't know those lakes had any whites in them til this year. I was fishing on Loon back around April and watched a guy catch one on a night crawler shortly after telling me he usually catches quite a few. He said they were strippers actually but I wasnt close enough to tell for sure which it was. Has anyone else caught any strippers or whites out of the big pits?
    I've caught whites out of otter. Not really that surprising considering the spring floods, I'm sure they just make their were up the creeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Flooding was bad this spring.

Let's hope that these are the only new fish to the pits. I was talking to Paul and he said he thought he saw a dead Asian Carp on the bank this year.

This is the first time I've ever caught or seen those white stripers in these pits. I've caught plenty of them out of KY lake in years past. I think these are the ones that chase shad to the surface in big schools and then slash into them at the surface. My dad called it "firing". We would see them and run the boat up to them and cast into the school before they went back down and came up about 50 to 100 yards away. I'd catch a few of them but ended up chasing the school down the lake in the boat. I did manage to catch one that was about 2 lbs once on KY lake. That was exciting. I was not that old back in those days. Only about 10 or so. So catching a 2 lb striper on a spoon was a lot of fun for a kid.

Today I talked to a guy who was taking his daughter out fishing for the first time in a long time. He said he liked to crappie fish. I hope they find some fish and his daughter has fun fishing. We need more women in fishing IMHO. But they only learn to fish if Dad take the time to teach them the ropes. Perhaps she will hook into one of these stripers and have some fun today.

As for the American Bald Eagle, I've seen one before a few years back over on Tom Newmasters land just East of Gander Road where it runs North off Boonville New Harmony Rd. So they have been around for a while, but not in good numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM4A1 View Post
    I've caught whites out of otter. Not really that surprising considering the spring floods, I'm sure they just make their were up the creeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    Let's hope that these are the only new fish to the pits. I was talking to Paul and he said he thought he saw a dead Asian Carp on the bank this year.

This is the first time I've ever caught or seen those white stripers in these pits. I've caught plenty of them out of KY lake in years past. I think these are the ones that chase shad to the surface in big schools and then slash into them at the surface. My dad called it "firing". We would see them and run the boat up to them and cast into the school before they went back down and came up about 50 to 100 yards away. I'd catch a few of them but ended up chasing the school down the lake in the boat. I did manage to catch one that was about 2 lbs once on KY lake. That was exciting. I was not that old back in those days. Only about 10 or so. So catching a 2 lb striper on a spoon was a lot of fun for a kid.

Today I talked to a guy who was taking his daughter out fishing for the first time in a long time. He said he liked to crappie fish. I hope they find some fish and his daughter has fun fishing. We need more women in fishing IMHO. But they only learn to fish if Dad take the time to teach them the ropes. Perhaps she will hook into one of these stripers and have some fun today.

As for the American Bald Eagle, I've seen one before a few years back over on Tom Newmasters land just East of Gander Road where it runs North off Boonville New Harmony Rd. So they have been around for a while, but not in good numbers.
    yea it is sad but I'm sure those dang asian carp will make their way up there eventually. Though I don't see a lot of them up in creeks, but from what I can tell they still go up them a GOOD ways

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure but I think I've seen pictures of guys bow hunting these asian carp. I'm not sure exactly where they got them but they shot a bunch of them up near Derby, IN and or Cannelton, IN in one of those creeks that runs off the Ohio River. But those are connected to the Ohio River year round every year so it makes sense that the Asian carp would be up in those creek in big numbers.

I'm not sure how long Pigeon Creek and Bluegrass was flooded. Perhaps the Asian Carps didn't come up too far but you won't know until they start jumping out of the water into our boats. I'm hoping that doesn't happen.

BTW, I saw that the parking lot of Bluegrass was almost filled to capacity this morning. Saturday. I'm glad that I didn't take my boat over there this weekend. That place is starting to get too popular. I'm going to have to find a new place to fish during the hot summer months. Come fall most of these people will be off the water. A lot of people don't fish in Oct or Nov and Dec. I'll fish in the fall until the Duck Hunters take it over.

yea it is sad but I'm sure those dang asian carp will make their way up there eventually. Though I don't see a lot of them up in creeks, but from what I can tell they still go up them a GOOD ways

Post Thanks / Like
    There are Asian carp and white bass in all the three big pits. As for bald eagles if you want to see some go to where the wabash dumps into the ohio. From there to the **** you can usually see some. Especially from jan-mar for some reason. They also sit on the wall at the ****.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well yesterday I went fishing for a while. I saw a American Bald Eagle flying over Bluegrass F&W area. I've seen all sorts of wildlife out there in the last few years but this was by far one of the most exciting for me. Well the Bob Cat that I saw as pretty cool too. And I enjoyed seeing the Beavers swimming across the lake once. And another time I spotted some deer swimming across the water.

I had my camera with me but I could not get it out and ready in time to get a good shot of the eagle as it surprised me and my DSLR was inside the camera back and on the back deck of the boat where I could not get to it quickly.

So I just enjoyed watching the Eagle fly off into the distance. He had the White head feathers just like in the pictures that I've seen of the American Bald Eagles.

It was a good day yesterday. I trolled a while and caught several fish. What surprised me was that the bluegill were hitting my bait as I trolled at 1.5 mph. I added a secrete weapon to my trolling technique and it paved off big time.

I caught some really nice big bluegill, one bass and a white bass or what I use to call a KY lake Striper. I'll have to get the pictures on her.

Its been a couple of year ago, i was fishing bluegrass and seen a small Eagle dive into the water. it was so cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Taking the DSLR with me to get a picture of that Eagle

I'd like to get a picture of the Bald Eagle for my photo albums. I would have gone this morning but for some reason my battery was drained. I left the 898 turned on after fishing yesterday. So it was on all day yesterday and all of last night and until about 6:30 AM this morning. Tue. I had to charge up the Optima Starting Battery and it took longer than I had hoped it would. So I didn't make it out this morning. It was too hot to go by the time the battery was fully recharged. So I'll just go another time.

The day before I checked the trailer lights and none of the turn signals were working. I had just installed a new plug on my truck too. Turned out the ground wire on the trailer plug was broken so I had to repair that. Then I found out that the right hand turn signal on the trailer had a broken wire so I had to fix that too. By the time I had it all working again it again was too late and getting too hot.

This time of the year if you don't get up early and go before the sun gets up it's going to be too dam hot to fish by 10 or 11 am.

I did manage to catch a couple of small bass the last time I went out. I would have caught a few more if I had checked the line instead of dragging the bass all over the lake. I caught my first bass within 2 minutes after starting my trolling pass. The bass just can't stay off my crank baits in this hot weather.

I saw a lot of fish at the 9 ft to 12 ft depths.

Quote Originally Posted by psvec View Post
    Its been a couple of year ago, i was fishing bluegrass and seen a small Eagle dive into the water. it was so cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was throwing a net in otter for shad not to long ago and caught a net full of asian carp. About the time I pulled it in, a CO pulled up to check my license. I asked him if he knew they where in there and he said he had heard of a couple caught out of blue grass pit. He got out some sort of book to identify them and said "yep..those are silver carp". He didn't act to surprised by it. I put em all in a cooler and used em as cut bait.
    As for the Bald eagles. I Haven't seen any at bluegrass...but I did see one while dove hunting last year near Elberfeld....which is rite down the road from BG.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually the Eagle took off and flew North toward that the direction of Elberfeld.

I've seen other Bald Eagles over by NewMaster's Office off Gander Road. But that was a few years ago. They are there from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Relic View Post
    I was throwing a net in otter for shad not to long ago and caught a net full of asian carp. About the time I pulled it in, a CO pulled up to check my license. I asked him if he knew they where in there and he said he had heard of a couple caught out of blue grass pit. He got out some sort of book to identify them and said "yep..those are silver carp". He didn't act to surprised by it. I put em all in a cooler and used em as cut bait.
    As for the Bald eagles. I Haven't seen any at bluegrass...but I did see one while dove hunting last year near Elberfeld....which is rite down the road from BG.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen other Bald Eagles over by NewMaster's Office off Gander Road. But that was a few years ago. They are there from time to time.
    There is one that lives by me now, granted I live by the river so not too rare. It is awesome to walk outside and see it up in the tree. It's huge