Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Penn State Sanctions

Looks like they got hit pretty good!
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ns-dating-1998

Regardless of their football records or Joe P.'s record some terrible things happened there under his watch and with his knowledge so the program and university has to pay.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO not hard enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    I been listening/watching commentary on this since the story broke and I'm still amazed to hear how many people think that Joe P. Is innocent and or should be given a pass. Emotions can sure cloud better judgment because if those people had a CHILD that was sexually abused and controlled like these kids were I think they would change their mind. Looking the other way like he did basically meant he approved/didn't care/scared for his legacy or whatever.....bottom line is he allowed other kids to be raped.
    Wonder if we are gonna hear about Sandusky committing suicide? Maybe being killed in prison? Cant imagine him living much longer with this on his mind and with his tag of raping young boys. I always heard that pedofiles dont do well in prison unless they are segregrated. I say this because look at what he brought to ruin wih his sick thirst for little boys? He has to realize that he was the key player that brought this program and his friends to this state of disgust. What does he see when he looks in the mirror? What a waste.

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    DJ.I agree with ya, ain't no room in college sports for anything even nearly like this.

Icon or not, to know and not act immediately makes Mister P a total disgrace to the institution and to the profession.

I know he has done a lot positive for that school and many young ball players. Good for him for doing that, and be gone forever for your failure to act when required.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why punish the new coaches, players, and fans for the actions of their predecessors?

Put Sandusky under the jail, fine the university out the wazoo, not to mention civil suits forthcoming, and make every administrator or university personnel that had any knowledge of the situation hit the highway with their head in a bowling ball bag...I get that completely...but why should Johnny Smith from Buffalo NY who signed to come play at Penn State next year be made to suffer by loosing his scholarship and loosing his opportunity to play in the post season because of something he had absolutely nothing to do with?

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree 1000 % with your thoughts on the whole situation...........

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSplitshot View Post
    Why punish the new coaches, players, and fans for the actions of their predecessors?

Put Sandusky under the jail, fine the university out the wazoo, not to mention civil suits forthcoming, and make every administrator or university personnel that had any knowledge of the situation hit the highway with their head in a bowling ball bag...I get that completely...but why should Johnny Smith from Buffalo NY who signed to come play at Penn State next year be made to suffer by loosing his scholarship and loosing his opportunity to play in the post season because of something he had absolutely nothing to do with?
    The NCAA is not 'punishing' the new coaches and players. They just happened to be coming on at a time when old staff members were getting their heads chopped off. It's like rain....when it comes both the good and bad, the young and old all get wet.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, napalm the whole village with no regard for the innocents..."collateral damage" I believe is the term the military uses for it.

I don't believe justice is served by making people who had nothing to do with the situation pay a price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian i know we dont have to agree on everything and I know you cant stand a child being hurt as much as anyone out there including myself but i cant past that emotional side of this.

I tried to step back and see it as you do but i cant.....Life is full of adversity and this is a lesson of how life isnt fair for these players. The NCAA has made it easier for these football players to move on to other schools without any penalties by lifting or easing some rules. Sure it ***** if they really really wanted to play for Penn State but again such is life. My opinion is that the people that wanted to play for Penn State really wanted to play for Joe P. anyway and that's not gonna happen. Schools having wins, scholarships and being on probation is nothing new from the NCAA. USC, UMASS, MEMPHIS come to mind.

Any coach who has been hired at Penn State knows what they are in for so I don't see that as a problem. Penn State was represented by Joe P. and what he allowed by not freaking out and reporting Sandusky of his sick crimes is gonna cost the company he represented. The power and prestige of Penn State allowed Joe P to get away with alot according to an article I read and then you add these sick crimes on top of that. The program was to powerful and it had to be smacked down.

So did the NCAA go to far? Hmmm I guess some say yes I say no. I can't help but remember that this is just football. Yes it's a huge money maker for Penn State but still it's just Football. I'll take it a step farther....I think the showers that have been talked about where some of the crimes were committed should be torn down as well. I just cannot imagine taking a shower in the exact same spot some little boy was raped. Heck maybe they are being torn down?

I have heard several sports commentators take the approach your taking so I understand your point I just don't see it that way.

I wonder.... would people feel the same way if the school this happened at was a lessor known place? Maybe a lessor known Coach whose legacy of wins and reputation wasn't so great? I think some of the people I have heard talk about this wouldn't care as much. JMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don, I can see where everyone is coming from on that side of the argument too...very emotional issue...very hard to see through the fog of emotion around this case when handing down punishments too.

A coach who is a pedophile that is raping kids inside campus facilities is a criminal issue - Throw Sandusky under the jail. Actually, put a bullet between his eyes and it wouldn't hurt my feelings any. Paterno, other coaches, administrators, university officials, and anyone else that knew about it and didn't do anything to stop it should be released from the university for lack of integrity and not protecting these kids. But, this is not a football issue, in my opinion, where the program and incoming players should be penalized.

In a case where a program is cheating, recruiting violations, etc...you punish the program as a deterrent for that kind of behavior and as a means of negating any benefit gained from the violations. Incoming coaches and players do pay that price, yes. Criminal law handles pedophiles though...and it's not like Penn State gained any kind of advantage on the field of play by Sandusky raping boys and using the team showers to do it.

I just think this issue is different and should fall on the shoulders of Sandusky, Paterno, and the group of administrators...not the football program moving forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Penn State Sanctions

Unfortunately it sometimes takes a whooping to impress people and make them remember things. It may not be the ideal arrangement, but administrators and staff at other schools will not be so quick to turn their head and allow this stuff to happen if they know that the punishment will be very severe. It helps them make the right choice without even having to think about it. Right or wrong, I don't know, but sometimes it requires harsh agressive treatment to prevent the spread of diseases and this disease needs to be stopped. Just my opinion folks.