Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ewwww...feces in Harrods Creek

This is really disgusting:

http://www.wave3.com/story/19100529/oldham-county-waterway-polluted-again

It's one thing to sort of know it happens, but it's another to read a rather graphic news report on it. Just totally gross. And very disappointing...I'd love to fish there sometime, but this just takes all the wind out of that sail.

There have been sewage overflows in Floyds Fork recently, too, due to equipment malfunctions at treatment plants.

I love these creeks and streams, and absolutely hate this stuff. But I'm afraid that with cost-cutting and aging equipment, it will just get worse. I guess I better write my representatives and elected officials, something I don't do enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Harrods Creek

I feel your pain - but to me, there's NO excuse for this in todays day and age. I've heard too many excuses as to why it's "ok" for raw sewage to run into our waterways: "Low funding, aging lines/equipment, flood/storm water, etc, etc.". I trully feel bad for our neighbors in Owensboro...every time it storms in Louisville MSD finds a way to allow hundreds of thousands of gallons of raw sewage to drain straight into the OH River.

Post Thanks / Like

Flyods Fork

Was thinking about wading this weekend, but due to the below comments, will probably wait. Unfortunately I haven't heard anything negative about Floyds Fork in a while, what happened? I absolutly love fishing the creek. It is a shame our laws cannot protect such a wonderful natural resource.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolin Addict View Post
    Was thinking about wading this weekend, but due to the below comments, will probably wait. Unfortunately I haven't heard anything negative about Floyds Fork in a while, what happened?
    A week or two ago I hear a news story about a few thousand gallons of untreated sewage being pumped into Broad Run, a Floyds Fork tributary, because of malfunctioning equipment at an MSD plant. It was better than first reported, because they originally thought it was tens of thousands of gallons. During this news story, I think they said the same thing happened a few months ago.

I try to be realistic and non-squeamish about it. I mean, every animal in nature does their business in the watershed, and all streams have at least a small amount of human filth, and lakes do, too. I guarantee that every creek in KY had dead animals rotting in it.

But there's a line that gets crossed too often. And it really is a shame, because these creeks are really beautiful and valuable for many reasons.

I'll keep fishing Floyds Fork, but I just have to wait a little while after these things happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Took me a little while to find a news story:

http://wfpl.org/post/sewage-spill-kills-fish-brush-run

I suppose this is sort of small...even in fairly dry times like now, I bet a thousand gallons flow by in Floyds Fork in a minute, so it's diluted and washed away fairly fast. STill gross, still shouldn't happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Floyds Fork

Thanks for the site information, I will start listening to WFPL. Your comments about dead animals and other less than desirables in our lakes and streams is dead on. Its the amount of contamination that I have issues with. Either way, will continue to fish the local streams and lakes thruoghout our beutiful state.

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    What lure do you throw to catch lump fish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    I hear the old timers use corn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Baby Ruth candy bars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    Baby Ruth candy bars.
    hahhahhahahahahah.........that is Nasty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Umm, did you read the story? While it was published last week, the pics and incident are from April. And how did he determine that its feces? I'm not saying its not, just want to know how he knows.

I live by a the J-town sewage treatment plant that they're working on shutting down because it has discharge problems into Chenoweth Run, which runs into Floyds Fork. But there, the "stuff" gets churned up pretty good so that when its discharged, it looks like muddy water, not solid feces. You can drive down the road right by it and see it, if you want.