Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Colorado to Poison All Fish to Eradicate Smallmouth

Post Thanks / Like
    Only in Colorado......................Shaking my head. It's the new California...

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the quote that kills me:
    "People who illegally move fish into lakes, ponds and rivers are not only committing a criminal act, they are endangering native species, stealing a resource and recreational opportunity from thousands of anglers and negatively impacting the local community."

So this lake is a RESERVOIR that is STOCKED with trout. They already endangered the native species by creating the lake and putting trout that didn't naturally occur there.

I get what they're doing and I see the difference between their quote and my reaction to it, but they're a bit hypocritical.

Plus....why anyone would want to catch a trout over a smallmouth bass is beyond me.

Post Thanks / Like
    don't poison them bring em to ky put em in green river we love smallmouth plus 5 miles from my house

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigchip View Post
    don't poison them bring em to ky put em in green river we love smallmouth plus 5 miles from my house
    Some nice places around there for catfish tickling too. We have a friend that owns river bottom property close to Monroe and the fishing there can be fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigchip View Post
    Yea but don't bring "em" till they eat all the trout.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post

Plus....why anyone would want to catch a trout over a smallmouth bass is beyond me.
    Probably for the taste eating them. There is no doubt that rainbow, brown and about all trout are just delicious.

Now I eat smallmouth and they are just too much fun on the end of your line, but do not compare to fresh rainbow trout.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since they already took off any type of limit or possession restriction for the SM, I would think it would make sense to just leave it like that for a period of time and see if that didn't remedy their problem without having to go nuclear on the entire lake. I hope they are certain none of the poison wold remain in any unforeseen measures. What else dies besides the trout and the SM? What about birds and other wild life that feed there? What about runoff?

I can't help but think this is one of those things that somehow backfires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kydonky View Post
    Probably for the taste eating them. There is no doubt that rainbow, brown and about all trout are just delicious.

Now I eat smallmouth and they are just too much fun on the end of your line, but do not compare to fresh rainbow trout.
    Trout are pretty far down my list in terms of fish to eat.

I get the attraction of matching the hatch, outwitting them into biting, etc., but the ones I've caught have been terrible fighters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Trout are like catching wet dish towels. They taste like shoe leather. These purist dudes with all their high end gear and fancy clothes with heir pinkies stuck out make me wanna take a chit...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Trout are like catching wet dish towels. They taste like shoe leather. These purist dudes with all their high end gear and fancy clothes with heir pinkies stuck out make me wanna take a chit...
    Mark, wild trout will fight as hard pound-for-pound as any fish out there. Those trout in the Rocky Mountain west are nothing like the trout we catch here. IMO if the people of Colorado don't want a non-native fish in their waters, that is their right. Besides, it isn't like we are going to go out to Colorado to fish for smallies when we have bigger ones in their native range right here.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you say so Tim, lol....