Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question on baitcasting Reel

I just purchased a shimano caenan and took it out today to dial it in and after about 2 hours of fishing i noticed a large amount of What looks to be excess grease that got mixed with water.I know factory usually over oil and grease them but this is the worst i have seen.What do you guys Recommend ,Just wipe off the extra or try to clean it all off and re oil or grease it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	3999

Post Thanks / Like
    I clean all of mine before I ever use them....Clean all the grease they use from the factory off and out and put oil in it....I take a Q tip to remove all the excess grease off the line guide and put a little oilon it...Then i remove the bearings from the sideplate and and from under the cast control knob and soak them in lighter fluid to remove the large amount of oil they put in them, then add one drop of oil to the bearings....I wipe off all the excess grease they cake on everything and your reel will perform better than it does straight out of the factory....If you're concerned about tearing into your reel, there are some great "how to" videos on youtube...I use strictly Shimano reels as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ls1chris View Post
    I just purchased a shimano caenan and took it out today to dial it in and after about 2 hours of fishing i noticed a large amount of What looks to be excess grease that got mixed with water.I know factory usually over oil and grease them but this is the worst i have seen.What do you guys Recommend ,Just wipe off the extra or try to clean it all off and re oil or grease it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	3999
    Besides the grease issue, how do you like the reel? I have been looking at this reel and a lews for about the same price. I dont know anyone who has either so your opinion would be great. Thanks in advance for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about doing like you said and soaking them in lighter fluid and re oiling them,But at first glance the bearings look to be supported differently than my lew's or Revos.By that i mean the revo has a Little C clip that pops in place over the bearing and the shimano looks to have a star looking clip does it pop out the same way .

And i have both a lew's speed spool and a revo S.The caenan feels pretty good it cast well after i adjusted the centrifugal breaks and is light weight.But to me i do not think you can beat a Lew's Even compared to the Revo S.All 3 are good reels for under $100 but it you are looking for a No frills straight forward reel i say Lew's.Plus it has magnetic breaks which is easier to set up and make adjustments with at least to me.But i do like the Eva knobs on the caenan most people do not though .

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally haave never bought a shimano casting reel but just recently bought a quantum metrix which i am in love with not the lightest reel on the market but in a 7:0:1 gear ratio its good for everything and i didnt notice any excess oil problems. Past purchased reels though i have used q-tips and they work but you gotta be careful not to get the little fibers in the gears and the bearings. Just a suggestion but what about one of those little microfiber lense cleaners for sunglasses/glasses im sure it would work well and it definitely wouldnt leave any "fuzz" in the innner workings on the reel

Post Thanks / Like
    wipe it off and keep fishin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ls1chris View Post
    I was thinking about doing like you said and soaking them in lighter fluid and re oiling them,But at first glance the bearings look to be supported differently than my lew's or Revos.By that i mean the revo has a Little C clip that pops in place over the bearing and the shimano looks to have a star looking clip does it pop out the same way .

And i have both a lew's speed spool and a revo S.The caenan feels pretty good it cast well after i adjusted the centrifugal breaks and is light weight.But to me i do not think you can beat a Lew's Even compared to the Revo S.All 3 are good reels for under $100 but it you are looking for a No frills straight forward reel i say Lew's.Plus it has magnetic breaks which is easier to set up and make adjustments with at least to me.But i do like the Eva knobs on the caenan most people do not though .
    Just take a small screwdriver or L shaped pick and stick under the edge of the clip and it'll pop right out....However, BE CAREFUL and make sure to keep that little devil in your hand....Those C clips are a pain to try to keep a hold of, and once they hit the floor they're gone for good.....I keep several spares just for that reason....To get the bearing out of the handle side, remove the cast control knob, remove the spring that sits under the knob, and remove your spool....The bearing will fall out where the cast control knob was...Shimano, and most other companies are notorius for caking oil and grease on all of their parts and it's unneccesary and affects the functionality of the reel