Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Lake Cumberland jumps

Just about when the Striper jumps usually begin. My brother and a good friend was wanting to go an experience this action. Just trying to plan a trip an a little help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    They aren't real consistent yet. I'm getting into jumps about every 3rd trip now. Should get better, but you got a puncher's chance now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. So probably need to wait a couple of weeks or so.

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeB View Post
    They aren't real consistent yet. I'm getting into jumps about every 3rd trip now. Should get better, but you got a puncher's chance now.
    JB,

You seeing them more in the am or pm? Seems like they tend to start in the evenings.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really haven't been out much in the evenings. The jumps I've been into are first thing in the am.

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Thanks JB. I guess I just got to get my butt up earlier. Gonna miss that last beer on the deck at night.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a call from Guide Jared Harmon and he said that he had one of his best August days ever recently. All fish were caught on Smack Jacks.

Post Thanks / Like
    You would have to be right on top of the jumps I saw this weekend. Up close to the bank, not a huge school and lasted under five minutes. Talked with Lance for a bit Sunday and he's seeing schools the size you'd expect in October. I saw a few good size schools a few weeks ago. Those would be the ones were you have a chance to hit it if they come up. I don't think they'll stay that balled up but they are now so the chances would be pretty good. There are literally fish everywhere. I saw a school come up two thirds back in Otter Sunday in the middle of the day and we dropped down right over a school back there in a pocket while having lunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Scott is there anywhere to buy that wake bait, the Smack Jack other than online??

I want one for sure...

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Duayne View Post
    You would have to be right on top of the jumps I saw this weekend. Up close to the bank, not a huge school and lasted under five minutes. Talked with Lance for a bit Sunday and he's seeing schools the size you'd expect in October. I saw a few good size schools a few weeks ago. Those would be the ones were you have a chance to hit it if they come up. I don't think they'll stay that balled up but they are now so the chances would be pretty good. There are literally fish everywhere. I saw a school come up two thirds back in Otter Sunday in the middle of the day and we dropped down right over a school back there in a pocket while having lunch.
    Duane, thanks! Would ya tend to favor the main lake flats, like around Cemetary Point, or would ya favor more work the 1/2 point in creeks to find some jumps? Just wondering what general search pattern to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duayne View Post
    Saw the exact same thing in Lilly Creek last night.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I were going to target the jumps, I'd look for the large schools that can get under bait and stay under it over open water. The smaller schools can only hold the bait for so long and have to use the bank to help gather the bait. I could tell it was getting close this past weekend because it was the first time Ive seen the birds searching. The absolute best jumps scouts on the lake are the birds.

It's my opinion that the only way you'll get a cast into what I saw come up this past weekend is to have them come up right next to the boat and that's hard to guess with as fast as the schools are moving and with as much water\shore as they have on the main lake. Hey, two boats were right there with one school I saw Saturday and got a few casts into them. They were right on the bank with nothing to speak of as far as structure goes on the North shore. It wasn't a place I would have picked to hold up for jumps but I'm the guy that was down rigging on my new boat for the first time and I didn't even get a sniff. So what do I know.. LOL

The jumps I would make an effort to move to are the ones over open water when it's the size of a football field or larger. And with the size of the schools, it probably is happening somewhere on the right days.