Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

rod and reel setup

Want to get into fly fishing looks like to much fun. What is a good combo set to start off with will be using it for bass bluegill, and occasonal trout I quess. Way I understand you need several rods for different size line. Dont they make a universal line that can throw a small fly up to maybe a popper or something like that any help would be great thanks.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Consider starting out by purchasing a combo unit (rod, reel and line). You can get these for around $100 -$150 bucks a such places as Sportsman's Warehouse in Lexington, or Bass Pro in Louisville. I'm sure Cabela's has same, provided you have a location near you.

I would suggest you consider either a "4 weight" or "5 weight" rod. You will find this sufficient for pan fish, trout and smallmouth bass.

Secondly, it will be helpful if you can locate a FF buddy near you to help you get started with some of the basic techniques. Alternatively, the are some very good instructional videos on Youtube. Also, don't forget to read the past posting in this Forum.

Enjoy and Best of Luck

PS, as far as casting, suggest you start out by learning the "roll cast". Again, Youtube.

Post Thanks / Like
    You dont have to get a nice set up right off the bat. I purchased a little martin 30 dollar one from sportsmans just to see if i liked it and have caught plenty of panfish and little bass on it! great little set up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Combo unit rod is very powerful rod and its very hard compare to the others but its price is little bit high then the others but really reliable for me specially i also use this rod since last 2 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bass Pro Shop has a 4 piece 5 weight combo that comes with backing and fly line already on the reel and a nice case for around $149. I am sure Cabela's has a similar combo in that price range. These are really good rods for the price.

Post Thanks / Like

Affordable combo

I just started fly fishing last year and I got my combo at Walmart for $40. It is a Martin 5/6 wt. it comes with line, leader and a couple of poppers. Have had a blast with it. I have used my for smallies, bluegill and trout.
    Even met some fly snobs who told me my setup was a piece of crap and I needed to buy an Orvis setup. But I shut them real quick when I showed them pics of some of the smallies and trout I caught in it. So I asked why should I spend $500 or more on a setup when I am catching nice fish on my $40 setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll get lots of differing opinions...

I just bought a killer setup for under 200.00:

TFO Lefty Kreh Pro Special 4pc 5wt rod (on sale for 79.00 at Bass Pro).
    Okuma SLV 4/5 Reel (Ebay - 50.00 plus free shipping)
    Cabela's backing (8.00)
    Cabela's Prestige Plus WF5F Line (45.00)

It's an outstanding rig...I love it.

I have "high dollar rig" also:

Guideline 4pc 6wt rod (525.00)
    Lamson Konic reel (130.00)
    unknown backing
    Scientific Anglers Mastery Series WF6F (75.00)

I bought the "high dollar rig" several years ago in Spokane. I had more money than sense at the time. Knowing what I know now, I would have spent less than half that on a TFO setup. I have to say though, the Konic reel is super nice, I will probably buy one for my 5wt some day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	165419_10201195244581888_515645683_n.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	5234
    First fish on my 9' Pro Series. Kentucky bass on chartreuse Clouser minnow at Giles Conrad Park in Boone county. The rod casts like a dream. Best hundred bucks I ever spent. Recommend it to anyone who must get a lot of bang for their buck. Also scientific Anglers makes a 'headstart' line that I have been using on most of rods since I found it. It has a bit of extra weight and should help mitigate some of the problems associated with novice casting. I like it because I mostly fish short casts, so it helps me load the rod more efficiently with a short line.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the year I start fly fishing and will get a setup soon. The TFO rods seem like about what I want.....

Post Thanks / Like
    My two cents:

Rod: There's a significant difference in feel in a $50 rod and a $200 rod. Better rods are worth the money (up to a point). so my 6 weight I use on the cumberrland is a very nice Orvis. My 4 wt travel rod I use for panfish and such is not that great, but gets the job done.

Line: I've also found that really nice flylines really cast longer and better. I'm partial to Rio. On the other hand, I just spent the day fishing yesterday on some mountain streams in NC and never had to make one long cast. So, it depends on use. But a $75 Rio WF is a LOT better casting than a $25 generic fly line.

Reels: If your fishing for bonefish in the keys, or steelhead in Michigan, having a good real with a good drag really matters. But for most of us, the reel is more of a line holder than a reel. And even though I use it to reel in fish at times, the thumb drag works pretty well; that is, my thumb or palm on the rim of the reel. Therefore, for most of us, the cheapest fly reel you can find will probably work just fine. If you need to change spools, then choosing a reel where you can buy extra spools is helpful. The reel I use on my 4 wt is a mostly plastic Cabelas. I have a really nice redington reel for my 10 wt, although I hardly ever have a chance to use it.

Knots: Learn surgeon's knot and surgeon's loop.