ID:	4052

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salmon 2012-09-01 05-50-05.jpg 
Views:	1051 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	4053

Post Thanks / Like

nice

Geo, shoulda been there 20 yrs ago, the kings all would run around 20lbs. the cohos about 7. But thje steel head appear to be getting just a tad larger.Sure to miss that action.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you liked fishing in the lake than you will love it in the river in the fall. When the salmon run up river to the dam is a blast, I have been going up there ever year for a long time. Unfortunately missed the last 2 years though but going to make up for it this year. Fishing in the lake is OK but fishing the main river or bear creek is loads of fun. Usually last week in Sept. first week in Oct. somewhere in there is best. Timing is very critical though, too early and not too many there and too late and most have lost all their energy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINHALL View Post
    If you liked fishing in the lake than you will love it in the river in the fall. When the salmon run up river to the dam is a blast, I have been going up there ever year for a long time. Unfortunately missed the last 2 years though but going to make up for it this year. Fishing in the lake is OK but fishing the main river or bear creek is loads of fun. Usually last week in Sept. first week in Oct. somewhere in there is best. Timing is very critical though, too early and not too many there and too late and most have lost all their energy.
    Most of the locals I've talked to don't even mess with them around the river. A GOOD friend of mine grew up in Manistee, and he has been arranging the charters for us.

We actually went up the river to do some fishing. They were not stacked up and in fact things were pretty behind for this time of year.

We did manage some trout in the river.

So, when you went that late, were the fish still in good shape, or had they started to turn. Seems the fish out of the big lake are really silver, and the meat pink as can be. Those in the river and Manistee seem to be darker, and from what I've heard are not quite as "good" as those early caught salmon.

I don't know......only what locals have told me.

I CANNOT wait until next year.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    Geo, shoulda been there 20 yrs ago, the kings all would run around 20lbs. the cohos about 7. But thje steel head appear to be getting just a tad larger.Sure to miss that action.
    I've been about 5-6 times. This was one of the best trips......10 years ago we did catch some bigger fish. Some of these were pushing 20....and the 6 we caught the day before were ALL serious fish.

Here they are:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salmon 2012-09-01 12-28-39.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	4055

Post Thanks / Like

river salmon

The fish we caught in the river were always for smoking. The lake fish were table and smoking.Did you run into any lake trout?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    The fish we caught in the river were always for smoking. The lake fish were table and smoking.Did you run into any lake trout?
    No lakers.........

The fish in the river are about done, so I guess smoking is probably the best solution to making them good table fare.

THANKS,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    I was up there in May for Morels.When the Samon 1st got planted in Mi. my unkle really wore them out.When i was samon fishing i did it in Lake Huron.The last Samon my Dad caught was in Lake Mi. & he fought it for 45min's & that was enough for him.If you ever get ahold of the Samon that they planted that don't die after their run up the river it will be a monster.They don't die after 4 years like the rest.I miss it but not the money it cost too chase them.I sold my Samon boat in 97.I spent may days at grandmas house in Manistee.Only thing i didn't like about there was the smell of the paper mill on Lake Manistee.
    Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raincheck View Post
    I was up there in May for Morels.When the Samon 1st got planted in Mi. my unkle really wore them out.When i was samon fishing i did it in Lake Huron.The last Samon my Dad caught was in Lake Mi. & he fought it for 45min's & that was enough for him.If you ever get ahold of the Samon that they planted that don't die after their run up the river it will be a monster.They don't die after 4 years like the rest.I miss it but not the money it cost too chase them.I sold my Samon boat in 97.I spent may days at grandmas house in Manistee.Only thing i didn't like about there was the smell of the paper mill on Lake Manistee.
    Terry
    Awesome.........

Simply AWESOME. Are you from the area? My ex boss (great friend CHMS) grew up there.

Post Thanks / Like
    They should be making a run into some of the rivers. I think I fished the Little manistee or maybe the Marquette. Fun was had by all.

Post Thanks / Like

salmon

I lived in N. Ind, Worked almost on the lake, For almost 6 yrs I quit bass fishing. We'd start the spring with coho,the summer with trout and the fall with everything.During the winter it was the warm water discharges,that was truly a fishermens paradise.Then something happened to the alewives, the kings got smaller,also the cohos came down.Now when I talk to some of my old pals, they talk nothing but small mouth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Geo i'm from Mi. Not from Manistee but Grandma lived in Manistee.She lived on 1st across the street from Dairy Queen.When she died my parents moved there & when Dad died in 85 Mom sold the place & moved.The spot i go dry fishing i remember from Dad stoping there.The last 2yrs i have hit a patch with 50 or so morels.Its in the Manistee national forest. off M55.We spread Dads ashes in Udell about 10miles east of Manistee over looking the Manistee river.I visit him a lot & thats where Mom will be & me when we die.Mom turned 90 yesterday.If you ever want too go dry fishing i'm game.
    Terry