Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Falls and Mcalpine... learning to fish all over again

Hey guys, been readin on here for the past couple weeks and just signed up. I've been fishin for 30+ years and just discovered the falls and mcalpine... HOLY CRAP! How the hell did I miss this hole for all these years? After fishing there a few times (from the bank- no boat) I'm completely hooked. Then I come across this site and discover, I have to learn how to fish all over again. I'm not sure some of you guys realize how much knowledge you're packin around in your head. I'm use to tossin a worm or liver, maybe some homemade doughball, but now I gotta learn about levels, output, flow, casting nets and my favorite lesson (learned monday) where not to set up on the bank across from the dam when the water is coming up. Just wanna say hi and keep spreadin the word. I'll try to give up some knowledge when I get some. I'll be the skinny guy with a hat, cigarette and comfy green chair fishin left of the harrison ramp on the weekends if u wanna shoot the ****. Any pointers on tackle, rigs, bait, location or just general B.S. would be greatly appreciated.... some ol' boy said it perfect first day i was down there..."ain't no better way to waste your time."

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the board. Been fishin the falls for over 40 years, it's truly one of a kind. Largest sedimentary rock formation in the world. You can have the best day a fishing in your life one day and be humbled the very next day.As you mentioned the water levels are everything down there, the number for water levels if you don't have it is 775-5056. The basic bait down there for catching about anything is a grub and jig I mainly use 1/4 oz but it depends on the current. White and chart. are my personel favorite colors. As far as catfish you are right about the throw net. Skipjack,mooneye and shad are my favorites. Again welcome to the sight and I'll be the blond headed guy in a dirty white boat.Give me a shout. Chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcome. I was down there today fishin 3 poles, 3 different bottom rigs and 3 different types of hooks and I was gettin hit after hit on little 2-3 inch shad. I tried snatchin my rod, lettin em run and cussin, but just couldn't get em to take a real bite. Stopped to talk to a couple guys on the way out and they said they were gettin the same thing. Anybody got any experience with this? By the way, caught zero fish, but was one of the best fishin days I've had. (until they flooded my spot) One more thing, Anyone know what the steel spikes stickin about a foot outta the rocks left of the ramp use to be?