Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing books?

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing books?

Hello all,

I'm curious as to if any of you guys have any fishing books that you might recommend. I'm relatively new to "serious" fishing and I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I'm looking for basic fishing information and common techniques. I've found that I have significant gaps in my knowledge about even the most basic stuff, like how to correctly rig bait, etc. I mean, my dad showed me a lot as a kid but I really want to learn the "right" way.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would check out youtube for knots and basic rigs, if you are looking for a good read about in state fishing, google books by Art Lander

Post Thanks / Like
    I too wanted too get better when it came too Bass.So i bought a bunch of vidio's & they really helped.A freind at work showed me how too tie a knot.This sight has tought me a lot & KVD on speed dial for the really slow days.lol
    Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have an appreciation for the scientific aspect of things, I would highly recommend "Knowing Bass" by Dr Keith Jones. He is the Director of Fish Research at the Berkley Fish Research Center in Spirit Lake Iowa. In this book, he gets deep into how a bass's senses work and how they are affected by their environment. Basically, he helps you think like a bass. This would NOT be recommended reading if you don't have a little bit of geek blood flowing through your veins.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a ton of Infisherman mags if you would like, good stuff its has helped me a bunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Spoonplugging

"Spoonplugging" by Buck Perry.

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin'fool View Post
    Hello all,

I'm curious as to if any of you guys have any fishing books that you might recommend. I'm relatively new to "serious" fishing and I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I'm looking for basic fishing information and common techniques. I've found that I have significant gaps in my knowledge about even the most basic stuff, like how to correctly rig bait, etc. I mean, my dad showed me a lot as a kid but I really want to learn the "right" way.

Thanks again.
    http://www.amazon.com/Freshwater-Fis.../dp/0811727653

This little book has got tons of great info and its fairly cheap. Barnes and Nobile does it for $11.40 with free shipping.

I got one. If you live close to Etown KY, or come through this way sometime, PM me or email me at bobhamme@comcast.net and you can have it for free. Just let me know if you want it before it hits one of my yard sales:-)

Post Thanks / Like
    "Spoonplugging" by Buck Perry is an excellent book on the art of fishing for bass. I have just started reading it and it is very interesting. It does require most fishermen to completely abandon their traditional style of fishing the shallow banks and stresses the importance of moving out away from the banks to fish underwater structure. This has been a very hard transtion for me and I hope it will one day pay off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Freshwater-Fis.../dp/0811727653

This little book has got tons of great info and its fairly cheap. Barnes and Nobile does it for $11.40 with free shipping.

I got one. If you live close to Etown KY, or come through this way sometime, PM me or email me at bobhamme@comcast.net and you can have it for free. Just let me know if you want it before it hits one of my yard sales:-)
    This looks to be exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks for the offer but I'll go ahead and order a copy from Amazon as I won't be through Etown anytime.

Thanks to everyone else for the recommendations, I'll check them out as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recommend "The History and Mystery of Dale Hollow Lake" coming in the fall of 2013. I can give more details on the book after Tuesday!

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also go online at flw outdoors and bassmaster.com they have alot of videos that are helpful. But my best advice is time on the water. You can read all you want but just fishing and learning what the fish are doing is the best teacher there is..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    I recommend "The History and Mystery of Dale Hollow Lake" coming in the fall of 2013. I can give more details on the book after Tuesday!

I was just getting ready to post about a "new" book I knew about.

I'm looking FORWARD to it......