Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sailfish from Kayak

I do a bit of guiding from kayaks here in the FL panhandle. A good friend of mine wanted to give kayak fishing a shot, he had only done it once so we hit the beach this morning.

We get over some live bottom and I'm geared up for trigger fish per the wife's request and I'm bringing them in two at a time. He is wanting a grouper so he is soaking some live baits on the bottom but the endangered red snapper are relentless. He released several sows up to twenty pounds. For those of you that know how hard a snapper fights, getting them from a kayak is that much tougher.

He gets bored of that and needed a break to rest his arms so he sets out a flatline with a live hard tail on a four ought circle hook and a piece of single strand wire. The bait wasnt even the water for more then a minute when the next thing I know a nice sail fish is tail walking across the water just dumping his reel.

Seeing a sail tail walk at eye level from a kayak has to be one of the greatest fishing experiences one can have.

We make chase and after thirty minutes and over a half mile from where the fish ate he lands the fish. The water is still dirty green from all the rain and we were just in sixty five feet of water less than two miles from the beach, not usual billfish territory to say the least. I've seen two this year but have yet to hook up and he gets one on his second time kayak fishing. Some people have all the luck, but I was glad I could put this ex-Army sniper on a fish of a life time.

GoPro video to come...

Post Thanks / Like
    Video made and edited by some friends who met up with us. By the time they caught up with us the fish was beat but still cool none the less.

Last edited by peter; 09-17-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: redid video link with insert video button on the editor window

Post Thanks / Like
    That is just awesome. I could only imagine how difficult that would be.

I'm glad the storm didn't put an end to the fishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool catch from a yak! Bet that was some sleigh ride!

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a great experience. I am still gunning for my first sail. I did pick up a nice mahi mahi Friday as well as a near state record lane snapper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1021.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	4128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00134.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	4129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1022.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	4130  

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that!! That was awesome and congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great video Jason keep em comin. Helps me get over not gettin to get my gear salty this year. Looks like the only time I'm going to fish salt water this year is sauger fishin the river when they start dumpin salt on the roads LOL. Chuck