Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Patoka Lake conditions?

Can anyone report lake conditions for Patoka? Have you been there recently

Post Thanks / Like
    I was there last Sunday for about 3 hours in Little Patoka ...most of the lake lice (recreational boaters) are gone for the year. Water temp was right at 69-70 degrees. Lake level is getting lower...I thought the rains would have raised it a little they must be drawing as it is lower than it was 2 weeks ago.

I boated 3 in the coves on lay downs with plastics....1 short strike on a spinner....1 swirl at a popper....all were between 12 and 15 inches.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the response, hopefully I will get a chance to go this weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Patoka Lake is turning over now in some of the bays

My friend called me today and gave me a short fishing report. He said that the lake is turning over. He fished the main lake and got some bites but didn't catch a lot of crappie. They bait shop didn't have any minnows for sale so he had to fish with jigs.

It's windy up there today. Wed 10.10.12. You can see the lake conditions by going to the Corp of Engineers Web Site.

Quote Originally Posted by augertail View Post
    Can anyone report lake conditions for Patoka? Have you been there recently

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    My friend called me today and gave me a short fishing report. He said that the lake is turning over. He fished the main lake and got some bites but didn't catch a lot of crappie. They bait shop didn't have any minnows for sale so he had to fish with jigs.

It's windy up there today. Wed 10.10.12. You can see the lake conditions by going to the Corp of Engineers Web Site.
    i wouldve thought its done by now. it started turning back in late sept when i was there

Post Thanks / Like

Check the Web site and see.

I looked at the Temperature profile for Patoka Lake during the last of Sept. That's the last recorded data that's still posted on the Corp's Web Site for Patoka Lake. It shows that the lake is still satisfied back in Sept 2012.

Remember that some parts of the lake will turn over before others. Not all the lake will turn over at the same time.

According to the data the thermocline was still down around 28 ft to 30 ft back in Sept. There was a definate Dissolved Oxygen Profile that showed the lake was still stratified.

I would think or guess that they are taking the temperature and dissolved oxygen readings out by the dam. But I'm not sure exactly where they take these readings. I could not find out where they take the readings.

Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    i wouldve thought its done by now. it started turning back in late sept when i was there

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah well, O2 hasnt been that deep all year, so i gurantee it was in the process. water was way off color,floating nasty slime and stunk down by the dam

Post Thanks / Like
    If you smelled something that smelled like rotten eggs (hydrogen Sulfide) then the lake's turning over in that area.

All it takes is a few cold nights to equalize the water temperatures at the surface with the hypolimnion water temp and the water will start mixing vertically. High winds can increase and encourage the mixing. Winds create currents and the currents help break up the thermal stratification.

And you were down by the Dam. There is probably more current in that area as the water is going through the dam there. Although that the deeper part of the lake and it takes more heat loss to drop the water temp down to where it will turn over. It's been pretty cold the last week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    yeah well, O2 hasnt been that deep all year, so i gurantee it was in the process. water was way off color,floating nasty slime and stunk down by the dam

Post Thanks / Like
    mm ...yup, pretty much