Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Making my own soft plastics. Any suggestions?

Hey all y'all bass nuts out there I'm considering pouring my own soft plastics to save a little money and get creative. I have no problem with making the molds as its pretty fool proof. My question is can I use old crappie jigs to melt down and is there anything besides other old baits and plastisol I can use to melt down to get the consistency of a soft plastic. Thanks and happy fishing!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure that you'll actually save money doing it, but pouring your own soft plastics can be fun. Also lets you change colors/sizes to better match where you are fishing. Some commercial soft plastic baits you can melt down when they tear up. Something to try outside with a specific bait before doing a bunch. I believe the ones with salt in them do not melt so well. I do all my plastic melting outside so I don't stink up the house. Check out lurecraft.com for molds and supplies.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TubeFlipper23 View Post
    Hey all y'all bass nuts out there I'm considering pouring my own soft plastics to save a little money and get creative. I have no problem with making the molds as its pretty fool proof. My question is can I use old crappie jigs to melt down and is there anything besides other old baits and plastisol I can use to melt down to get the consistency of a soft plastic. Thanks and happy fishing!!
    lurecraft is the best by far, i make jigs and its so much fun catching bass on something you made. I made the regional on my jig on ky lake. most of the bass i have caught have been on that little jig. if you pour lead do it outside and take breaks.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might message "Bass man". He's been pouring his own for a while and could probably give you some pointers. I think he uses bearsbaits.com for his supplies