Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel demand valve issue

I just bought a new 9.9 mercury and i keep having a fuel demand valve leak? First one was cracked. Second one is now leaking. Does anyone else have this issue? Is this absolutely required? Any info would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well ive decided to remove the darn fuel tank demand valve thing. Ran the fuel line directly to tank. Such a pain in the butt.

Post Thanks / Like

It is and expensive pain as well

My setup came with a new 20HP Mercury that I purchased. I added a second tank and hose for redundancy. The tank and hose that came from Mercury; no problem. The tank and hose I purchased from a marine dealership failed horribly. Tank failed because either the brand new tank could not hold the 5 psi that it is rated for, or the pressure relief valve failed allowing the internal pressure to push and distort the entire tank out of shape permanently. The take was so distorted that its internal pickup tube did not even come close to the bottom of the tank. Could only use little more than half the fuel before it sucked air.

The on demand regulator leaked right out of the center of the regulator. The very thing that this demand valve is suppose to correct (not let fuel vapors leak out) allowed quite a bit of fuel leak out into my boat and hence gasoline vapors went all over the place. Any foam flotation that comes in contact with ethanol spiked fuel will be destroyed. Now I am not sure my ride's flotation is sound.

The troublesome setup had an Attwood name on the hose (the hose did not fail) but there was no name on the failed on-demand valve. The only markings I could find was a patent # and an arrow indicating fuel flow, and a few other #s of which i have no idea of what they stand for

I really want to be in compliance with existing law, but really feel let down when regulations are passed, but the followup to insure that the necessary products can actually perform what they are suppose to do over a reasonable amount of time, is totally lacking.

Post Thanks / Like

Followup

I called Attwood and spoke with their rep Dave about this problem. Since 2014 (when they started to manufacture these valves) only three consumers contacted Attwood about leaky on demand valves. However, all three consumers resolved their issue by taking a small flat screwdriver and inserting it into the centered slot located on the top middle of the valve. You need not push very hard as it only takes a few ounces of force to depress the internal spring. Then remove the screwdriver and allow the valve to re-seat itself. For whatever reason, i.e. dirt, piss ant, small spider with an egg sack, sea gull poop, or some contaminant in your fuel, whatever, could prevent the valve from re-seating properly. This screwdriver method, in most cases will allow the valve to re-seat properly. In my case, this work around reduced the leaking by 95%. To get the valve to leak i had to pressurized the tank (tank completely sealed and in direct sunlight), place corrugated cardboard under the fuel line components, and wait a couple of hours. It still leaked, only evidenced by a small stain on the cardboard, but after waiting 15 minutes I gave up waiting to see if anything would leak.

Dave did remark, that no leakage should occur. We decided that I should return the hose to where i purchased it and if they would not take care of it, Dave would back me. He would not need the actual hose (just a picture would do) and a copy of the receipt.

Hence, one should know that if in the field, one finds fuel leaking out of this valve, in field repairs might be possible.