Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    LOL !!! .... over 90 views & no one even made a comment. Allllrighty then .... any of you 90+ viewers actually going to fish there, or are ya'll just curious ??

And ... if ANY of you actually go to Jacobson (today) & fish for these trout, and catch any ... how about posting a reply to this thread & telling 'ol Pappy about your experience !! I'm going to give it a go on Wed ... but, not unless the fish have actually been put in, today (as advertised).

.. pappy
    I totally forgot about the stocking. I'll find some time to go. I bet some of those trout find their way into lake ellerslie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post

And just out of curiosity .... can you park in the golf course parking lot & fish along that part of the lake ?? If not, can you park in the Park parking lot & walk over to the bank on the golf course side & fish ??

... pappy
    It has been years since I did but there used to be limited parking for the lake on the golf course side up near the road. The actual course lot may be open also since the city runs the course as well as the lake. If I were you I would just drive in and read any signs that are displayed.

Post Thanks / Like
    DJD ... I'm thinking the same thing !! And they might even survive the Summer, over in Ellerslie ... if they can stay out of the way of the Bass, Cats, and other such critters !!

Went yesterday for a couple of hours ... caught 3 in the first hour, and missed 4 of 5 bites during the second hour ... brought home the 4, after making myself that promise of "one more cast" and missing the fish that bit ... LOL !!

One of my 4 trout was a tagged fish .... making 2 tags collected out of a total of 12 fish caught, so far. First tag collected is on its way to KDFWR, and this tag will soon follow.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
    It has been years since I did but there used to be limited parking for the lake on the golf course side up near the road. The actual course lot may be open also since the city runs the course as well as the lake. If I were you I would just drive in and read any signs that are displayed.
    I thought about that, but never having been over on that side of the lake ... I wasn't sure. I would think there'd be signs telling you one way or the other ... but, as long as the golf balls are flying around over there, I think I'll stick to the park banks ... LOL!!

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Went yesterday for a couple of hours. Caught 3 trout ... none tagged. Discovered some things over the course of these last several trips, that I think may be of interest to anyone who may want to fish for these trout .... they seem to bite good for a period & then "quit", they don't seem to be biting unless you see some fish surfacing in the area, and they're just as likely to pick & peck on your bait as they are to grab it & go.

I'm thinking that the good bite period, followed by no action period, may be the result of these fish moving around the lake in packs ... and if you just wait them out for a short period, they'll come back by where you're stationed. The surfacing/jumping scenario "may" be them feeding on the surface, or it may just be them instinctively rising (looking) for their hatchery provided "food" ... but, in either case, it does seem to indicate that they are actively feeding.

So far I've seen them caught on worms, corn, and the various brands of "nibbles" .... fishing on the bottom, or under a float about 2-3ft. Having the hook completely concealed by whatever bait choice you use, seems to elicit more interest, as well as more pronounced effort & aggressiveness at biting/eating the bait. The use of at least a #4 hook, seems to help with the hookup factor ... something I learned after repeated hookset misses, while using a smaller hook.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like

Tag return reward ....

Received my "reward" for turning in one of the tags from a Trout caught from Jacobson Park Lake :

A 2" long pewter Rainbow Trout pin. Also received a note, thanking me for participating in the tag return program. I was also informed that my name will be entered into a monthly drawing for a ca$h reward !!!

Each month, through June 2013, there will be a random drawing for a chance to win between $10 & $100

One $100 winner - One $50 winner - Two $25 winners - Five $10 winners will be chosen from the names of the tag returning anglers ... EACH MONTH.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    I NEED to get out there. Im on nights now and dont have alot of time. I used to catch big gills and tons of small crappie this time of year by Richmond Rd on wax worms. My boat has not seen water since summer. A mess of trout sounds great right about now!!

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if this is significant, or indicative of the possibility of it happening ...... but -

last time I was at Jacobson, I was "surveyed" by a KDFWR official. He only asked a few general questions, which I didn't mind answering ... but, as we were talking about the FINs program & the upcoming Trout & Catfish releases, I mentioned about the "rumor" of a possible Hybrid Bluegill stocking ... and his reply was something to the effect of "in the Summer". Now, whether or not he was referring to Jacobson, or just the FINs lakes in general, I don't know. I was just making idle conversation, while he was writing down my responses to his survey questions ... and I didn't press the issue.

Should I happen to be "surveyed" again, when on Jacobson .... I will press for a more definitive answer.

While I am enjoying catching & eating these Trout ... I'm also anxiously awaiting the Catfish release. But, I'd give up the Trout & Catfish fishing, in a heartbeat, for the potential of battling a 1lb (or larger) Bluegill on UL tackle !!!

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    for the potential of battling a 1lb (or larger) Bluegill on UL tackle !!!
    Heart attacks can be caused by something like that. If those little rascals got to be 3 pounds you would never get them to the bank or in the boat.