Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Jacobson Park Trout release ...

Would like to know if anyone here knows for sure if the trout were released into Jacobson Park lake today !! By that I mean ... did you see the truck there, dumping fish ... or actually fished it, today, and caught some trout (or at least saw someone else catch some) ... LOL !!

I just want to make sure that the high 70's weather isn't going to be a factor in delaying the stocking. I have a anxious young lady just jonesing to go fishing & catch something worth keeping !!

Thanks !!

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Oooops ....

Nevermind ... I just saw where the stocking is set for Oct 23rd.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL !!! .... over 90 views & no one even made a comment. Allllrighty then .... any of you 90+ viewers actually going to fish there, or are ya'll just curious ??

And ... if ANY of you actually go to Jacobson (today) & fish for these trout, and catch any ... how about posting a reply to this thread & telling 'ol Pappy about your experience !! I'm going to give it a go on Wed ... but, not unless the fish have actually been put in, today (as advertised).

.. pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Went there today but only caught a small bass. Quite a few people out though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    LOL !!! .... over 90 views & no one even made a comment. Allllrighty then .... any of you 90+ viewers actually going to fish there, or are ya'll just curious ??

And ... if ANY of you actually go to Jacobson (today) & fish for these trout, and catch any ... how about posting a reply to this thread & telling 'ol Pappy about your experience !! I'm going to give it a go on Wed ... but, not unless the fish have actually been put in, today (as advertised).

.. pappy
    nope

Post Thanks / Like
    Guess I should post. Maybe on Wednesday.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am definitely not and expert but I've fished for stocker trout for 2 fall/winters now and usually only have success on cold days. If they're active you will usually see them rolling on top.

Good luck CrappiePappy! Let us know how it goes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by inrll View Post
    I am definitely not and expert but I've fished for stocker trout for 2 fall/winters now and usually only have success on cold days. If they're active you will usually see them rolling on top.

Good luck CrappiePappy! Let us know how it goes!

Just thought I'd update this thread :

Went on Fri 11/9/12 ... fished for about 2hrs midday ... used live worms @ about 1.5 - 2ft deep ... caught 3 Rainbow Trout & one small Carp. Carp went back & the three Rainbows came home with me. Did not notice it, until I was putting the trout into the cooler for the ride home ... but, the first one I caught happened to be a tagged fish ... LOL !! Tag is in envelope (provided at the lake) and will soon be on its way to KDFWR. I'll let ya'll know what my "reward" is, for returning the tag.

Thought I was gonna be smart and use a real tiny hook on one of my poles ... but, as it turned out, I missed all 4 bites on that pole. So, I took that hook off & replaced it with a #6 Aberdeen & nailed the next fish to bite on that pole. In all I think I had about 10 or 11 "runs" ... and had hookups on 4 of them, resulting in the 3 trout & 1 carp. I think most of the other "run" misses were due to setting the hook too quick, as once I let the fish take the float under & move it a couple of feet ... I hooked up with fish.

I will be going back, later this week, to try & catch a few more for the freezer. All three trout were in the 9.5-10 inch length range, so one per meal should be more than enough for me. It should be, as I've already tried to eat a 3lb Rainbow, all by myself ... (that I'd caught below Wolf Creek Dam, back about 30yrs ago) ... and I was sick of the taste of it well before I'd finished it !! LOL !!

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Frozen trout? That's a big No-No. I'd take the carp over it.

I caught a tagged trout the past Saturday as well. Couldn't find any report form online. So I guess I need to head back to the park for the envelop. Another legit excuse.

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you all prepare these stocker trout?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfewiz View Post
    How do you all prepare these stocker trout?
    Cleaning : diagonal cut behind gill plate on each side, down to (but not through backbone) ... cut across the back (neck) where the two diagonal cuts meet, down to the backbone ... cut belly open from anal hole to throat .... pull head "down" towards belly slit & back towards anal opening, to remove entrails. Use knife point to score through the blood line that runs along the backbone, or fingernail or stiff toothbrush ... and wash out all the dark matter (blood line). OR ... you could always filet them (though it isn't necessary to remove the skin/scales).

Cooking : rinse fish with cold water & pat dry with paper towel .... roll fish in flour (salt/pepper to taste) ... heat butter in skillet until bubbling ... cook ~5mins per side on med heat (or until internal temp has reached 140deg per meat thermometer )

Some use oil instead of butter ... some use egg wash prior to coating with flour ... some prefer to bake them vs frying them, while others grill them. As long as the fish isn't undercooked or overcooked, it's pretty much personal preference as to coating choice & cooking method.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Went again this past Thurs. Got there around 1230PM & fished until 215PM without so much as a sniff. Did not see many trout surfacing, and when they did it was well out of my casting range.
    Decided to call it a day & head home, but stopped up by the dam to talk to some anglers fishing by it .... as I approached the first gentleman, he reeled in a trout. I decided to stay a while, and caught my first fish on the first cast. The other fellow caught a couple more & left with his 5 fish limit. I stayed another hour or so & finished up my limit.

I decided to give one of the trout a try, Friday .... and it tasted fine. Very mild flavor, compared to what I remember from the ones caught from below Wolf Creek Dam. I think that a light seasoning would have been OK & not overpowered the taste, but only used salt/pepper on this one. I fried it, just the way I described above.

Mailed in my tag, from the first trout I caught ... and waiting to see what "reward" will be forthcoming.

THANKS KDFWR & LFUCG for making Jacobson Park Lake a FINs lake !!

And just out of curiosity .... can you park in the golf course parking lot & fish along that part of the lake ?? If not, can you park in the Park parking lot & walk over to the bank on the golf course side & fish ??

... pappy