Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question bank fishing under dam in Ohio River

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]I live in Lexington and have a business trip to Cincinnati this weekend. I plan to do some bank fishing either at Markland Dam or Meldahl Dam for white bass/hybrid. I did some web research. It seems to me river level should be good (around 17 ft at Markland dam), and Ohio River temperature should be around 50. Now seems a little too early for sauger fishing (should be after Thanksgiving). It’s the first time for me to bank fishing below dams in Ohio River. I believe all the tail water fishing under different dams should be similar (Markland, Meldahl or McAlpine). Is it too late for white bass/hybrid? How close to the dam do I need to fish? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Thanks a lot in advance! [/FONT][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    I can help you with Meldahl. On the Ky side, fish the sandbar below the dam. Lots of whites and hybrids being caught in this area. The area directly below the gates/dam are not permissable now due to new construction of hydra dam now. That used to be the best area for hybrids along the rocky shoreline.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at meldahl today and zeroed out. No whites or anything else but the water was crashing into the shore and current was ripping. Water was like chocolate milk. I would consider markland as there is probably more area to fish like up against the generator or in front of the steps that leads to the river, or down river more on the point that goes into the water there. The only thing about meldahl is it is hit and miss right now. My experience with hybrid fishing there is when water temp is 55 degrees and up, hybrid fishing is good at certain times of the year. Now this is just my personal experience you never now about those hybrids. One last thing is below 55 degrees on the water the slower the fishing for me is the white and hybrid fishing. But right at 50 in years past I would start picking up sauger, I have not caught any sauger yet on foot fishing up there. Only thing about meldahls beach area is there is sort of a gravely bottom and speradic rocks out in the water here and there, All of the good fishing on foot is blocked off because of the Hydro construction right now. Check more into markland as there is more surface area to fish there. Hope this may help you out alittle.