Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Serious fish finder NOISE pain..........

OK......so I've got a pretty little 7 series hummingbird on the back and a 5 series on the front.

24v trolling system on separate batteries.
    12v cranking battery that is also configured to run all accessories. Lights bilge, finders, etc, etc.

The front finder has a transducer on the trolling motor. It works flawlessly, no noise, no issues...works great.

The back finder has noise problems whenever you hit the trolling motor.......I've tried everything, including the following:

1). Ran separate wires on opposite side of the boat to the battery from the finder. NO go. Still noise.
    2). Put noise chokes on those wires.........Still noise.
    3). Put noise chokes on the trolling motor power wires..........Still noise.
    4). Put noise chokes on all the power wires above AND on the Transducer.....Still noise.
    5). Temp soldered a ground wire to the trolling motor housing, and then ran this to the negative post of the battery.....Still NOISE.

The ONLY thing that eliminated the noise was to grab a separate battery, outside of the boat, and hook the fish finder to that. That worked, but I don't have room in the boat for another battery. This is really honking me off.

Does anyone have an idea that I can try to help resolve the noise problems.

I don't get noise while running the main outboard........only when running the Trolling Motor. I'm assuming I have a ground loop issue, but I'm at my end trying to resolve it.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    ground that battery neg to the alum frame of the boat also and try that

Post Thanks / Like
    if that doesnt work, i would make a cone shaped device out of aluminum foil. the taller the better. when done with that, fashion it to your head like a hat and run a wire from the tip to the neg on battery. it may not fix anything, but its sure to make the neighbors laugh. have the wife take pics of this also and post on facebook.

Post Thanks / Like
    The first thing I do to anything electronic making a noise is to slap or kick it and see if that helps, If not make the aluminum dunce cap and send photo's

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Geo,

Does your 7 have a noise filter adjustment in the tools or settings menu? Second, does it allow to to selest between operating frequencies?

FYI, a link that might help:
    http://www.humminbird.com/FAQ.aspx?ContentId=1849

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Geo,

Does your 7 have a noise filter adjustment in the tools or settings menu? Second, does it allow to to selest between operating frequencies?

FYI, a link that might help:
    http://www.humminbird.com/FAQ.aspx?ContentId=1849
    I've switched the frequency and I've adjusted the noise filter.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    ground that battery neg to the alum frame of the boat also and try that
    I have not done that yet, but I did read somewhere about hooking the neg posts of both the trolling system and the cranking system with a 2 amp fused wire. I did that and MOST of the noise is gone.

Not all, but I figured I'd try to eliminate my noise issues with that finder before I added another.....I'm concerned that If I purchase another like I want to, I will always have noise.........

Thanks,

geo

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Boat Central

Would be a great place for you to ask this question in the Humminbird or electrical/wiring & trolling motors forum. They should be able to get you squared away & Humminbird monitors it all the time to try to help with issues.

Post Thanks / Like

problem

I actually had the exact same problem with my 597di. I called the humminbird technical service hotline and they went to great extremes to assist me. The remedy ended up being a software upgrade. I have an used Humminbird Trolling Motor Filter (Choke) that I bought but ended up not needing. I would sell it if they recommend that you need one.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GeoFisher;502990]OK......so I've got a pretty little 7 series hummingbird on the back and a 5 series on the front.

12v cranking battery that is also configured to run all accessories. Lights bilge, finders, etc, etc.

The front finder has a transducer on the trolling motor. It works flawlessly, no noise, no issues...works great.

The back finder has noise problems whenever you hit the trolling motor.......I've tried everything, including the following:

1). Ran separate wires on opposite side of the boat to the battery from the finder. NO go. Still noise.
    4). Put noise chokes on all the power wires above AND on the Transducer.....Still noise.
    5). Temp soldered a ground wire to the trolling motor housing, and then ran this to the negative post of the battery.....Still NOISE.

The ONLY thing that eliminated the noise was to grab a separate battery, outside of the boat, and hook the fish finder to that. That worked, but I don't have room in the boat for another battery. This is really honking me off.

I don't get noise while running the main outboard........only when running the Trolling Motor. I'm assuming I have a ground loop issue, but I'm at my end trying to resolve it.

Later,

Geo[/QUOTE

Mine is doing the same thing, like you I have tried every thing, including what the HB guys told me to do, like run a wire to the TM back to the cranking battery. I even replaced the TM with a new one, no luck, Bought new batteries, ran a seperate ground to fuse block, choke cables, ran new heaver power and ground wire just to the unit. The only thing I have not done and will do it soon is to put a rubber backing on fuse block. So if you find an answer, please let us know.

One question gor you, is your boat Glass or alum?

Billy

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=410th;503084]
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    OK......so I've got a pretty little 7 series hummingbird on the back and a 5 series on the front.

Later,

Geo[/QUOTE

Mine is doing the same thing, like you I have tried every thing, including what the HB guys told me to do, like run a wire to the TM back to the cranking battery. I even replaced the TM with a new one, no luck, Bought new batteries, ran a seperate ground to fuse block, choke cables, ran new heaver power and ground wire just to the unit. The only thing I have not done and will do it soon is to put a rubber backing on fuse block. So if you find an answer, please let us know.

One question gor you, is your boat Glass or alum?

Billy
    Aluminum Boat.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you by chance put a fuse block in it your self? The reason i am asking is maybe the fuse block screwed to the boat just might be the cause. That is why I am going to put rubber behind mine so nothing is touching the boat. I also have a alum boat. I have only heard of this issue in alum boats. I also have a alum boat.

Billy