Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin'fool View Post
    Here's the new scope I ended up buying for the air rifle:

CenterPoint Hunting and Outdoors, Scopes, AR22 Series, 3-9x32mm Rimfire

It's pretty nice!
    Let us know how long it last's on a Air rifle.

Post Thanks / Like

Scope

Well I see it says Crosman on the top of the page so if Crosman sold it then it should work OK on a pellet rifle. Good luck and do let us know how it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Spring Loaded Air Rifle hand on scopes

Quote Originally Posted by Olgrey View Post
    If you read many reviews of air rifles you find that scopes are constant complaint, sometimes the original ones and other times the replacements. Some people say that spring type air rifles are very hard on scopes, probably the vibration. If the scope was new maybe Tasco will replace the it. It would be worth a try. Was it accurate and how do you like the rifle otherwise?
    You can sure say that again. I just found out that my Bone Collector 0.177 cal Air Rifle is not EGT but instead it's a spring action gun.

I was wondering why I could not hit any thing the other day. I was shooting at a leaf on the tree no more than 15 yard away and could not even see where the pellet hit the leaf. In fact I shot a leaf in another area. Then I noticed that my eye relief on the scope had changed. When I finally too the rifle away and looked at it and the scope real good I then noticed that the scope's mounts had slipped and the scope had slide back on the grooves of the rifle barrel about 4" or so. The back rings were not even in the gooves anymore and only the front part of the scope mount was still attached to the rifle's groves on the barrel. I knew that the gig was up then. That explains why I could not hit that stupid squirrel in the bird feeder on my back deck when I was only 10 yards away. I've missed shots at the pesky squirrel over the last few months ever since I got the new Gamo Bone Collector Air Rifle.

I said in a post above that it was a Enert Gas Technology Rifle but I was wrong. I apologize for that mistake. I didn't realized the mistake until today when I went to the Airguns, airgun sale, air rifles, bb guns, air pistols, lasers | GAMO USA web site and checked out all their different types of air guns. Then I found out the truth.

The shock of firing this spring loaded air gun moved the scope right off the barrel.

My other high powered center fire rifles have screws that mount directly into the top of the rifle barrel. These screw holes are used to hold a grooved scope mount onto the gun barrel. These work and are stronger than just having the grooves in the barrel and then using a clamp to set the scope into the barrel grooves. The latter is how my Gamo Air Rifle is made.

So if you have a spring loaded type air gun (Rifle) make sure that you tighen up the scope screws tight.

I was using a #10 torx screw driver and it was not getting the screws tight enough. So I got out a 1/8" driver and a #10 torx screw to use and that got the screws a lot tighter. I'll have to keep an eye on the scope mount to see if it's moving. I'll know what to look for if I start missing that squirrel again. That Pesky Bird Food Stealing Squirrel is mine now!

After I adjusted the scope screws and got them as tight as I could I proceeded to setup a new target at 27 yards and dialed in the scope to zero on the target. Three shots in a row were in the bulls eye. So the rifle scope is on target now with the 0.177 cal Predator International Inc. Pellets. These are lead pellets with a plastic tip that's shaped like a cone. They are pretty consistant and precision is a lot better than other pellets that I've used.

I also have some Gamo PBA platinum and gold pellets in 0.177 cal which I'm going to test in this Air Rifle tomorrow. The PBA Platinum pellets are not made from lead and are lighter and therefore go 1300 fps. The lead pellets only go about 1000 to 1200 fps. The faster pellets are much louder and sound more like a 22 cal rim fire cartridge.

I'm anxious to test this gun in the coming days. I have a lot of black birds that also raid my bird feeders and who know that I'm out to get them. They cluck when flying by when I'm outside. The cluck cluck noise is their warning danger sound. Danger is me. LOL They also do this when a Hawk flies into the area. I noticed a hawk flying though my trees in the back yard today and the black birds and robbins all scattered. This hawk has killed one of the doves that was at my feeder platform about two months ago. I was looking out the back kitchen window and watching the dove feeding on sun flower seed when the hawk attacked and killed the dove. It happened so fast that at first I wasn't sure of what I was seeing. Then I saw two feathers still floating in the air where the dove used to be. The hawk swooped down at high speed, grabbed the dove in his claws and flew off so fast that I almost missed it if I had blinked. The dove was gone in a flash. So it's no wonder that the birds give a warning cry when they see this hawk. He's a deadly bird killer. I wish he would just kill the black birds. I don't like those black birds for some reason. They are almost as smart as crows. They learned how far I can shoot the pellet gun and hit them and move across the street to my neighbors trees which area out of range of my pellet gun. And I'm not going to shoot toward those trees anyway.

As for the squirrel. I may just get a pole and with a squirrel guard to keep him out of the sunflower platform feeders. I enjoy watching these squirrels from my kitchen window in the winter time when they spend most of their time across the road playing in a old 150 ft tall Oak tree. It's the best part of the view out my back kitchen window. I've been watching those squirrels playing in that old Oak tree for the past 20 winters or so. Since 1987 when I moved into this house.

Post Thanks / Like

Air Rifles are hard on scopes

I didn't realize just how much these air rifles jerk the scope around. If the scope is not well built for this type of punishment it will break inside or lose the tension on the cross hairs and they will move off target.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin-fool View Post
    Well somehow the reticle/crosshair on the Tasco scope I bought broke and it's somewhere inside the scope. So now when I look through the scope there isn't a crosshair.

Post Thanks / Like

Correction. The Bone Collector is a EGT type rifl

The Gamo Bone Collector 0.177 cal is a IGT type air rifle not a spring loaded air rifle like I thought. I'm not sure how I got that mixed up. Maybe it was because even the IGT type rifle has a lot of recoil that knocked the scope out of place. IGT stands for Inert Gas Technology. Instead of a metal spring doing the work they use a piston that's filled with an inert gas and that's compressed when you cock the rifle.

I got a new Gamo Rifle Stop and added it behind the stop on my original Gamo scope. The Gamo scope comes with Ga pin type rifle stop on the back scope ring mount. Having two scope stops helps keep the scope in place better.

I also got new screws for the rifle scope and tighten them down using blue Permatex thread lock. This keeps the screws from backing out due to vibrations.

The Gamo Bone Collector 's rifle scope is staying in place now and it's shooting much better. Just make sure that if you buy one that once you get the scope bore sighted and attached to the dove tail rails on the rifles barrel (weaver type) you tighten down the screws firmly and add some thread lock to the screw's threads.

I'm shooting all types of pellets now. I have the Gamo Rockets, Gamo Platinum. Gamo Gold, Gamo Blue tipped, Gamo Red tipped and a bunch of different Crossman lead pellets. Some are target rounds with a flat end on the pellet and some are pointed.

The Gamo Platinum, Gold and Blue Tipped pellets are made out of a light weight allow and not made from lead. So they are much lighter and go a lot faster 30% faster than lead pellets of the same caliber.

The alloy pellets can break the sound barrier and are very loud. They sound like a 22 cal short rim fire rifle shell.

The lead pellets are not so loud and have more mass.

Effective ranges is around 40 yards for good groups.

[QUOTE=Moveon;516476]You can sure say that again. I just found out that my Bone Collector 0.177 cal Air Rifle is not EGT but instead it's a spring action gun. <----- Not true. see above