Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

High school fishin

Hey guys im gettin closer to gettin my school a fishin team! I went and talked to my principal and she said i hav to hav a good reason to start the team and enough people i hav 6 people includin me any ideas on some good reasons? Anythin would help

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell her you can win scholarships! Then have some kind of graph showing the average cost to go to college and the average amount you and your teamates could win. It might also keep some kids out of trouble and give them something to do outside. That way they are not starring at some computer screen or tv all day. Just a couple ideas off the top of my head. Good luck and I hope you can get it going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Katie, We too are lookng at starting a team here in Lexington. My son fished his first one at Cumberland this past year. First thing is First.. First you have to get a teacher to sponsor you where they can provide a classroom to meet once a month or whatever. Then you build a club. Once you build a club try to get other schools involved and the other kids' parents. Your club can be a Louisville based club, or a school club. Once you have an established club, then you bring it to the principal and possibly the Sports Director for Louisville schools. This is now a sanctioned sport in Ky and once the club exists, you can fund raise and fish all the tournaments you want. You can host events for other states as well. My suggestion would be to get in touch with TBF (The Bass Federation)
    Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

School fishing

Which schools in lexington offer a bass fishing team? My son attends Lafayette and has tried a couple times to "get it going" and seems like nobody has any interest. He was actually told there is too much liability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mancave,
    My son also attends Lafayette. He is in 9th grade.. I have another buddy of mine who's son attends Henry clay.
    We have talked to the Founder of TBF and he has given us a lot of good information concerning the clubs and how to set them up. I have another buddy who is friends with the sports director for Fayette co. Although the school has some say, we need to put one foot out at a time. first step is to get a club together. this could be at Lafayette, Dunbar, Henry clay etc. Once we have a club we can compete as a team and fund raise etc. Once there is enough interest, and it grows, we can divide it up by schools etc. One thing that I have found is that there is no way Lafayette will let Dunbar or HC have a fishing team and them not participate. If you have some other people interested, let me know and maybe we can set something up. I would love to talk to ya more about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    try getting ahold of artcarney_agr ....he might or might not be able to help ya out

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancave View Post
    Which schools in lexington offer a bass fishing team? My son attends Lafayette and has tried a couple times to "get it going" and seems like nobody has any interest. He was actually told there is too much liability.
    More like the school officials are probably too trifling and lazy to want to have anything to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like

High School Fishing

Wayne County High School has had a bass club for little over a year and has been very successful. The best way to get the school involved is to show them the TBF Student Angler web site and have someone contact the National Youth Programs Manager Mark Gintert at mark@bassfederation.com or call 580-716-4251 and set up a meeting with him. That is Mark's job and he lives in Monticello Ky, Mark told me that there will be at least 4 district tournaments for students to qualify for the state tournament at Ky Lake. If you would like to talk to me about our high school club call me at 606-307-7401.

Post Thanks / Like

Katie

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Hey guys im gettin closer to gettin my school a fishin team! I went and talked to my principal and she said i hav to hav a good reason to start the team and enough people i hav 6 people includin me any ideas on some good reasons? Anythin would help
    If you contact Donnie Keeton 859-760-5433, who is with TBF (The Bass Federation) he can help you get the information you need to get a Fishing Team started. He will also give you contacts for the KBF (Kentucky Bass Federation). Anyone interested in starting a High School Fishing Team can use Mr. Keeton and the KBF for support. Information for the KBF can be found at www.kybassfed.com

Post Thanks / Like

High School Fishing

Hi, I just joined the forum and seen your thread. I am currently the President for my club here in Hodgenville, Ky. The way ours got started was through someone in our community that wanted to help the team get it's start, If we weren't fortunate enough to have him I do not think we would have one at all. We've been meeting since september and it's been the ultimate learning experience. I think you did a good thing by talking to your principal but i think you should talk to your athletic director as well, and 6 people is the minimum to get started with SAF i think. The best thing to do is put the idea out there and get more people involved and build the interest with people that love the sport. Hope this helps,
    Ben