Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake Cumberland Spring Striper Night Bite with a Full Moon

Hello All,

I need some advise as I am setting up my annual Lake Cumberland fishing trip for late April possible early May. We were looking at April 25th thru 28th but the 25th is a full moon which from what I have learned in the past, that drives the bait fish down. So there is little to no top water bite. I have fished the full moon before but we had to fish the cliffs that are on dark side of the creeks.

Any suggestions or advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

PCT

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been hit or miss the last few years on given nights, full moon or not. As you said, the best you can hope for is to fish the shade. It might not even be a factor if it's overcast. I rarely fish it on top any more and usually stick to Gizz, slivers or jigs, depending on how deep you have to fish. Gizz baits are fast becoming the go to but they don't hold up well to stripers. Stripers destroyed three of mine last year so have plenty on hand. Top is awesome but shallow usually get's more bites and more hook ups.

Post Thanks / Like
    I generally do not like a full moon for stripers. However, you can still have productive nights. Just gotta find the dark banks and concentrate there or hope for cloud cover. Like Duayne noted, the last few years have been hit or miss at night for stripers. Last year, most nights were pretty good. Personally, I like the topwater action, though will mix things up and throw both surface and subsurface baits. If the stripers are really keying in on one type, I'll stick with that. Generally if I am hearing stripers busting alewifes on top, then a slow waked swimmer on top will get eaten. I've also hit areas after the bite seems to be over (no, or few, blow ups) with subsurface plugs or bucktails and caught a few that we never knew were there, right up against the bank.

May be shoot for the first week in May?

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't it stretch more into late May early June last year?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duayne View Post
    Yes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duayne View Post
    Heard some reports of June topwater action last year, but was not in on it myself. Before the dam issues you could count on topwater action into June, though a shorter window each night. Don't think I would plan a trip on it though. Much better chance at topwater action earlier in May. Also have smallie action during the day more so in May than June, just in case you want to chase something without stripes.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesnt it depend all on water temp. Last years warm spring seem to start the nite bite early. Seen guys posting on here in early april with limits every night. I was down in late april with the water temps in the mid to upper 60'sand had a blast. went back down in late may with water temps in the 70's and caught them but the window was alot smaller. I only get to go a couple times a year so i am no expert.

Post Thanks / Like
    They move up shallow to take advantage of the alewives spawn so water temp is critical.

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Even on a full moon night, you can still find some shaded walls to work. 2 years back, with a blazing full moon and not a cloud in the sky, I started from Jamestown and wandered around working up the lake, toward Harmony. While some walls, at some times of night, were bright with moonlight, as the moon transited, other walls became shaded.

I hit the lake at 9 pm, really didn't get into much topwater "popping" and shad swirling till after 1 am in the morning. But even though the moon was still up, it was closer to the horizon now, more banks/walls shaded, and the bite went nuts. Lasted till right before sun up. It was a mid-March trip.

And do try a fall back plan or shad or shiners under a slip bobber rig set ust 2-3 feet deep pitched to within 2-3 feet from the bank or wall, just so its floating. I have used this rig many nights when the moon, or high pressure, or picky fish and shad just refused to come up and signal where they were. I just troll along a bank 20-30 feet out, watch the fishfinder to see shad and fish working an area, and even if nothing is happening on top, a throw to the bank and some patience pays off.

As a general rule, when I fish March or April for topwater and for the night bight....I come armed with 3 or 4 game plans, and remain flexible and creative. It really is more like hunting then fishing! And dats why I like it.

Post Thanks / Like

NiTE Bite

According to Dan Barnett's Fishing Lunar Chart, The 25th & 26th are real good, especially between midnight & daybreak. 27th is good too.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go ahead and give it a try. You'll never know what can happen. I myself hate a full moon, but that is just me. You might also remember that sometimes the moon doesn't come up until 2-3, so you CAN find fish before then, esp on dark banks. Also don't for get cloudy nights as well. Let's face it, it can be pretty much a crap shoot ANYTIME we try to plan a fishing trip, even for an upcoming weekend. Weather, water temps , recent rains and high chocolate water all play a part and we cannot control any of that. Just have some of your buddies schedule a trip for the week following your week. Maybe then you can be one of those fisherman that can say "You should have been here LAST week"!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for you for your suggestions and advice. We will be there May 2nd thru the 5th. The Full moon just worries me. We will be fishing out of Alligator II Marina. If anybody else will be there that same weekend, send me a PM. We will have three boats. I will be watching the fishing reports more closely as it gets closer to May.

Good Fishing Everyone,

PCT