Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Alabama rig reel?

What are your opinions on a good reel to throw the alabama rig? I stripped the gears on mine. I usually get tons of BPS gift cards for christmas, so I'll probably get one in the next wk or two. I throw revos with every other bait. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    i use the bps pro qualifiers. you can usually get them for about 70-80 bucks either in christmas sales or the major fishing sale they always run in feburary. i think whatever you go with you want a high speed reel, 7 to 1.

Post Thanks / Like
    I figured low speed cause u would have more torque. What is the reason for high speed? not to say my thoughts are correct or anything. I've thrown an alabama rig maybe 50 casts total. I am no expert, just curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ambassadeur 6500 - cheap (as in inexpensive), large capacity, no unnecessary bells and whistles, and built like a brick &%#*house. What more could you ask for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheel4life View Post
    What are your opinions on a good reel to throw the alabama rig? I stripped the gears on mine. I usually get tons of BPS gift cards for christmas, so I'll probably get one in the next wk or two. I throw revos with every other bait. Thanks in advance.
    I`m a ardent guy for everything but arig. For that I have a calcutta. handles no problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    i always heard high speed to keep up the retreive so you dont get it snagged

Post Thanks / Like
    Consider trying one of the more recent Ambassadeur Record Bait Casters (RCN Models are the bluish/platinum colored round reels) pic it up and feel how much heavier it is than some of the other baitcasters out there. There cant be much plastic and synthetic materials inside for it too feel that solid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hairball View Post
    Ambassadeur 6500 - cheap (as in inexpensive), large capacity, no unnecessary bells and whistles, and built like a brick &%#*house. What more could you ask for?
    Sorry, I meant 5500 not 6500

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree on being cheap, i think most people believe that an A-rig is a miracle bait and they spend a fortune on a setup and then realize it's really not the most versatile thing.

Post Thanks / Like

a rig reel

you really should stay away from the 7:1 reels, the 5 or 6: 1 is much better. The large spools are great but not neccesary, something that will hold about 150 yards of line is ok. the retrieve is generally very slow like slow rolling a big spinnerbait.