Search Fishin.com

Thread: Live bait tank

Post Thanks / Like

Live bait tank

I am looking for a good used live bait tank, if any of you guys have one you don't use any more, and would sale at a reasonable used price. let me know what you have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    I am looking for a good used live bait tank, if any of you guys have one you don't use any more, and would sale at a reasonable used price. let me know what you have.
    --
    Don't know exactly what kind of bait you are interested in keeping or how long you want to keep it but if it is crappie minnows, keeping them alive for a couple weeks is fairly easy and inexpensive with equipment easily obtained at walmart... I guess buying several pounds of minnows at a time can get involved trying to keep them alive... I trap about all the minnows I use and seldom run out... I would actually prefer buying them if I could find a reliable source but locally it is iffy whether or not I can get them when I want them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hlleonard View Post
    --
    Don't know exactly what kind of bait you are interested in keeping or how long you want to keep it but if it is crappie minnows, keeping them alive for a couple weeks is fairly easy and inexpensive with equipment easily obtained at walmart... I guess buying several pounds of minnows at a time can get involved trying to keep them alive... I trap about all the minnows I use and seldom run out... I would actually prefer buying them if I could find a reliable source but locally it is iffy whether or not I can get them when I want them.
    I do crappie fish some, I have a small bait bucket for crappie minnows, but the bait I need the bait tank for is shad, for striper fishing, I like to fish lake Cherokee in tn. and it's a 2 hour drive for me. I have to leave really early to get there before daylight. so I can catch shad. if I had a good bait tank, I can catch my bait here on Laurel and take them with me. would be much easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    I do crappie fish some, I have a small bait bucket for crappie minnows, but the bait I need the bait tank for is shad, for striper fishing, I like to fish lake Cherokee in tn. and it's a 2 hour drive for me. I have to leave really early to get there before daylight. so I can catch shad. if I had a good bait tank, I can catch my bait here on Laurel and take them with me. would be much easier.
    --
    That's pretty much the same reasons I started keeping crappie minnows, live bait is a pain in the tail to get and keep alive, bass fishing with artificials was so much simpler... I never did have a spinner bait go belly up on me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hlleonard View Post
    --
    That's pretty much the same reasons I started keeping crappie minnows, live bait is a pain in the tail to get and keep alive, bass fishing with artificials was so much simpler... I never did have a spinner bait go belly up on me.
    I know what your saying, I'm not big on live bait fishing, but I do use it sometimes. I bought a couple downriggers and I'm trying to get the hang of using them, and using live shad with the downriggers can be a lot of fun on Cherokee, just hard to keep the shad alive without a bait tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

When I fished the Pondhoppers (Bass fishing) we used regular coolers for livewells and just placed a 12volt aerator in the cooler and it would run all day..actually had it on a timer. That along with a basic (aa or aaa batt operated) stone aerator( on all the time) should be enough. Maybe some bait alive if you needed that extra boost. Throughout the day you could add lake water if you wanted.