Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

How to remove the Y-Bones from a Northern

They eat real good and this makes nice fillets to cut up.

Last edited by peter; 12-27-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice video.

I've watched 35 videos and seen it done in person 136 times and I still can't clean a Northern correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Northern and Y bones go hand in hand. We use to smoke our Northen Pike Fillets and eat them slowing picking out the y bones as we ate them. I never did figure out how to get the Y bones out of Northerns.

Walleyes now that's a different story.

When dad and I went to Ontario we brought home some smoked Northern Pike and had it for a while after we got home. It was good with some cheese and red wine. Just eat it very slowly and carefully. Smoked fish was very good and tasty. The guy at Fin and Feather Camp up on Eagle River did the smoking for us. He did a great job.

Patoka use to have some Northern Pike when it was first opened. But they are pretty much gone now. But they are stocking walleyes in Patoka Lake now and have been for the last four or five years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fish View Post
    Nice video.

I've watched 35 videos and seen it done in person 136 times and I still can't clean a Northern correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was not aware of them stocking walleyes in Patoka. That should help to reduce the population of the small crappie.
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    They eat real good and this makes nice fillets to cut up.

_______
    waqas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waqas View Post
    They eat real good and this makes nice fillets to cut up. _______ waqas
    I had it at a Resturaunt and did not know it. Because it was so good I asked what it was. They said silver carp.
    Likes bobbonfire liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Walleye in Patoka

Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fish View Post
    I was not aware of them stocking walleyes in Patoka. That should help to reduce the population of the small crappie.
    I wish that they would stock a lot more Predator type fish and reduce the huge numbers of small crappie in Patoka Lake. My friend who fishes for crappie at Patoka Lake all the time said he has to wade though hundreds of the small crappie to catch one or two decent sized crappie. It's like they are breeding too many small crappie and they can't find enough food to grow. But the strange thing for me is that once the crappie get past 8" they start to fatten up pretty good. But the little ones (4 to 6") are every where and they are the skinny ones. Maybe the Gizzard shad are eating the same thing that the smaller crappie need to grow faster at that size. As they get bigger they eat more minnows and small fish like the baby gizzard shad. I'm not for certain but I don't know if a small crappie can eat the larger gizzard shad as a big bass might.

There are still big crappie in Patoka Lake but they are surrounded by hundreds of the smaller fish or something. I can catch small crappie at Bluegrass as easily as I can up at Patoka and Bluegrass is closer to my house. It takes me almost two hours to haul the boat up to Patoka and fish it.

Post Thanks / Like

Knife

I'm curious - why don't you use a regular knife? I feel I lose control of the knife when it's not a normal, sharp knife..

Otherwise, nice vid man.