Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who enforces this is a moot point...what they are planning is a floating barrier that you won't really be able to pass through without a lot of effort...basically chained together barrels.

Post Thanks / Like

Grand River Public Meeting Notes

Here is my comments put in my weekly fishing report reference the meeting held here last night:

Last night I attended the public information meeting hosted by the Corps of Engineers Nashville District which was about the proposed restriction of fishing below Barkley Dam. I would estimate about 300-400 people attended this meeting to voice their opposition to the proposed restrictions. Among those in attendance which voiced displeasure with the Corps plan to permanently restrict fishing immediately below the dam even during periods of low flow was the Honorable Congressman Ed Whitfield as well as staff members of Senator's Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul and other local officials. This proposed blanket closure of access to these waters is estimated to have a minimum economic impact on the local economy of 4 million dollars per year. This proposal, if implemented as planned, will also have devastating effects on many local commercial fishing businesses. Basically, what I took away from the meeting is that the Corps held this meeting to basically tell everyone what they were going to do and why they were going to do it because they are required by their regulations to do so. Congressman Whitfield and other officials argued that the Corps regulation that addresses the restriction of waters to the public below the dam is worded as such that these waters could be restricted during periods of high flow events but could also be opened to the public during normal flows. In his closing statement, Congressman Whitfield advised the Corps officials present that he and everyone in attendance at this meeting will oppose the Corps plan to blanket close these waters to the public and mentioned that we have courts that decide how regulations and laws are interpreted. Congressman Whitfield received a standing ovation of support from those present with these remarks. I would like to personally thank Congressman Whitfield and all the other high ranking public officials for their support in opposing the Corps implementation of this proposed closing of public waters without regard to the economic impact on the local area and the rights of the American people to have access to public waters in a reasonable and common sense manner.
    Last edited by peter; 01-11-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to the tv coverage of the meeting last night here at Grand Rivers:

Turbulent topic; Corps plans on restricting access to favorite fishing spot

Post Thanks / Like
    Nevermind...i posted by mistake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveStewart View Post
    Here is a link to the tv coverage of the meeting last night here at Grand Rivers:

Turbulent topic; Corps plans on restricting access to favorite fishing spot
    Dave,

Thank you very much for bring us this information from Western Kentucky.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem Peter. I don't even fish below the dams here..not because they are not good fishing, it is because my business is on the lakes....but I have a lot of friends that do fish below the dams and a number of friends that have businesses that depend on the waters below the dams being accessable to them and their clients. Also, just like everywhere around the country, the economic conditions are bad enough here without shutting down access to a major tourist attactration to further deplete the local economy.

Folks, a good friend of mine talked to Congressman Whitfield after the meeting last night and also to one of his key staff members. My friend told me that there was no doubt after talking to him (the congressman) that Congressman Whitfield is definitely behind the effort to work out a sensible compromise that would allow fishing in the ie...restricted area during periods of low flow, which is basically most of the time. My friend told me that the biggest concern right now for Congressman Whitfield and other officials that are joining in on this fight is that there is a show of support for this effort by the local communities and anglers at the other up coming meetings in Somerset, Ky Nashville,Ky and Baxter, Tn. so........if you folks that are in these areas want to assist our leaders in trying to stop the Corps from shoving these wholesale restrictions down our throats, YOU NEED TO ATTEND THESE MEETINGS IN NUMBERS...we have made a great start here in Western Ky with the numbers of folks showing up at our meeting here last night, but now it is your turn to go to these meetings in numbers and let these folks know how you feel!!

Post Thanks / Like

Corps Dam Fishing Ban Somerset Public Meeting

Attend this if you want to fish tailraces.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has set a public meeting in Somerset for Jan. 24 to inform the public about its plans to restrict boat access near locks and dams on the entire Cumberland River and all of its tributaries. The proposal will actually close all boat access for up to 500 feet below Wolf Creek Dam.

The meeting will be held at Suite 300 at the Somerset Center for Rural Development at 2292 U.S. 27 from 6 to 8 p.m. EST. Make sure to turn at Traffic Light 15. Anglers and boaters are strongly encouraged to attend.

The new restrictions are based on a 1996 policy that prohibits water bound access to areas above and below dams on Martin's Fork, Laurel River, and Barkley lakes as well.

The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources opposes any unnecessary restrictions below the dams and favors a compromise for boat access when water conditions are safe. The agency has issued a position statement that outlines numerous strong concerns regarding the results of the Corps policy, available on the agency website at fw.ky.gov.

"The below dam restrictions will negatively impact boat anglers and major recreational fishing opportunities, especially below Lake Cumberland," said Ron Brooks, director of fisheries for Kentucky Fish and Wildlife.

The area below Lake Cumberland supports the highest catch rate and harvest of trout in the entire 75-mile stretch of the Cumberland River from the dam to the Tennessee state line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin.com post View Post
    Attend this if you want to fish tailraces.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has set a public meeting in Somerset for Jan. 24 to inform the public about its plans to restrict boat access near locks and dams on the entire Cumberland River and all of its tributaries. The proposal will actually close all boat access for up to 500 feet below Wolf Creek Dam.

The meeting will be held at Suite 300 at the Somerset Center for Rural Development at 2292 U.S. 27 from 6 to 8 p.m. EST. Make sure to turn at Traffic Light 15. Anglers and boaters are strongly encouraged to attend.

The new restrictions are based on a 1996 policy that prohibits water bound access to areas above and below dams on Martin's Fork, Laurel River, and Barkley lakes as well.

The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources opposes any unnecessary restrictions below the dams and favors a compromise for boat access when water conditions are safe. The agency has issued a position statement that outlines numerous strong concerns regarding the results of the Corps policy, available on the agency website at fw.ky.gov.

"The below dam restrictions will negatively impact boat anglers and major recreational fishing opportunities, especially below Lake Cumberland," said Ron Brooks, director of fisheries for Kentucky Fish and Wildlife.

The area below Lake Cumberland supports the highest catch rate and harvest of trout in the entire 75-mile stretch of the Cumberland River from the dam to the Tennessee state line.
    all it takes is a couple high water days and the barriers will be gone, they can't afford to replace them over and over, I will pobably end up in jail because I will fish it anyway (ain't nothing illigal till ya get caught) they will get tired of trying to enforce something that no one pays any attn to, look at all the gun laws on the books, do they have any luck at enforcing them, just remember big brother knows what is best for you!!! maybe this is just something to keep us occupied while they sneek something else through elsewhere or keep us from focusing on the economy. go to http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...ys&h=fAQF-3dDl and sign the pettition tell your friends please. hope I put the link up right if not it is also on catfish1.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by linedrager View Post
    all it takes is a couple high water days and the barriers will be gone, they can't afford to replace them over and over, I will pobably end up in jail because I will fish it anyway (ain't nothing illigal till ya get caught) they will get tired of trying to enforce something that no one pays any attn to, look at all the gun laws on the books, do they have any luck at enforcing them, just remember big brother knows what is best for you!!! maybe this is just something to keep us occupied while they sneek something else through elsewhere or keep us from focusing on the economy. go to http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...ys&h=fAQF-3dDl and sign the pettition tell your friends please. hope I put the link up right if not it is also on catfish1.com
    try this one instead https://www.change.org/petitions/u-s...blic-waterways

Post Thanks / Like
    Any body know if there any new developments on this?

Sent from my smartphone using Forum Runner Mobile App

Post Thanks / Like
    Peter: There has been some news stories here lately on this end of the state about this. Some of the local officials went to D.C. to meet with senior corps officials about a week ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveStewart View Post
    Peter: There has been some news stories here lately on this end of the state about this. Some of the local officials went to D.C. to meet with senior corps officials about a week ago.
    Thanks for the update.

Sent from my smartphone using Forum Runner Mobile App