Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jacobson Park Trout Fishing

I'm heading to Jacobson to fish for the trout on Monday. Has anyone been there that can pass along any adivice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Went out there the other day and it was getting hammered. There is so much fishing pressure over there it's crazy. I went across the street to Ellerslie and found a few crappie willing to eat but even they were few and far between. Good Luck if you go

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Well, 12V....

I haven't fished it for a couple of weeks, but when I did fish there .... worms, corn, and powerbait/nibbles seemed to be the baits of choice. I've caught them fishing ~2ft deep under a float, and on the bottom. Most of my fish have come from around the new dock, close to the dam. The trout seem to move around alot, and come by an area in waves about every 30-60mins.

Whenever I've seen them surfacing often, I've caught my limit of 5 in less than 2hrs. No surfacing fish ... maybe 1-3 fish caught in 3-4hrs.

I've caught around 15 trout, so far ... 2 of which were tagged fish. I've turned in both tags & received a 2" pewter trout pin for each tag. My name is also entered into a monthly drawing for up to a $100 prize. There are some trout that are double tagged, having two tags implanted in their backs .... but, KDFWR has the records of all tag numbers, and will only reward you for "each fish", regardless of the number of tags the fish may have. There are boxes around the lake, that contain the mail-in envelopes & a set of pliers to remove the tags (or remove the envelopes) ... and you can also fill out the envelope & put it into a slot in the box. Envelopes are postage paid.

Here's a news release that gives you more info on the program : KDFWR - News Release
    The next stocking of another 4000 trout will be done in Feb, then another 4000 in March. It did seem easier to catch the trout, shortly after the stocking, and got a bit more difficult (for me) as the weeks went on & the fish got used to the lake.

Also of note, along with the trout release in March ... there will be the first stocking of Catfish. There's also a rumor of the possibility of a Summer release of Hybrid Bluegill. IMHO ... the Catfish release & Hybrid Bluegill release (if it happens) will triple, if not quadruple the number of anglers coming to the park. (and I'm likely to be right there amongst'em !! LOL !! )

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never done any winter fishing but I was thinking about heading over to Jacobson sometime this weekend to see if I could catch any trout. Am I crazy? Is it too cold out and should I wait for the weather to warm up some?

Thanks,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Matt ...

Quote Originally Posted by fishin-fool View Post
    I've never done any winter fishing but I was thinking about heading over to Jacobson sometime this weekend to see if I could catch any trout. Am I crazy? Is it too cold out and should I wait for the weather to warm up some?

Thanks,

Matt
    I can't really give you any recent info, as I have not been to Jacobson in several weeks. But, I will say this :

It's never too cold for the fish, they're cold blooded anyway ... LOL !!
    I don't know the current situation, as far as catch rate for time spent ... but, I do know that the fishing was better shortly after the stocking, and seemed to decline as time went on. It did for me, anyway. Others I talked to, when fishing there, said they normally fish for an hour or two ... and if they don't get bit, they leave.
    I've also noticed that if there are no surfacing trout ... bites are few & far between.

.... pappy

Post Thanks / Like

bite still on?

Is the trout fishing still good there? I saw this post and did a map quest, only about 1 hour 40 mins from my place and I am really considering going. I havent been trout fishing in forever and wouldnt mind eating some!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Deven Hall View Post
    Is the trout fishing still good there? I saw this post and did a map quest, only about 1 hour 40 mins from my place and I am really considering going. I havent been trout fishing in forever and wouldnt mind eating some!!
    Don't make the trip here for these trout. They stocked these about a month or two ago and they have been getting pounded every day since then. I would look for some place closer to you..

Post Thanks / Like
    After the trout have been fished hard for a while with powerbait and everything else they seem to go for minnows. I will fish hard after they stock a lake with powerbait and corn then switch to live minnows. Again they won't bite as good as they did when first stocked but you can limit out with minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Flies?

Has anyone fly fished for these stockers in Jacobson or any other lakes they're stocked in? I've caught them at Otter Creek with a fly rod using wolly buggers and some small nymphs but haven't tried it at a FINs lake yet. Maybe it's a good option since the fish probably don't see many, if any, fly presentations. I might give it a try at Cherokee one of these day.

Post Thanks / Like

Another Trout Alternative

Quote Originally Posted by 12VoltMan View Post
    I'm heading to Jacobson to fish for the trout on Monday. Has anyone been there that can pass along any adivice.
    Scott county park has two lakes that have been stocked regularly as well. Much less pressure and really good fishing. Try the lake with the fountain, fish near there with all the old trout stand bys. You will do well. Let it set for about 30 seconds then move it a little and WHAMO!! KAPOW!!! ZOWIE!!! sorry, could not help myself