Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

crappie fishing?

has any of you guys, ever crappie fished a lake in Mississippi called Sardis Lake. if so what did you think of it. we are thinking of giving it a try this spring. it's a long way to drag a boat, and anyone thats fished it before, may have some info on it that would help make my trip a better one. and thanks for any info.

Post Thanks / Like

A little closer

Thats a big shallow body of water, can get a little rough in the spring. There are a couple of good crappie lakes in MS just south of memphis.Arkabullah? is one, plus if you have any money left. Tunica is just a hop away.

Post Thanks / Like

sleeper lake

Roosevelt lake in southern ms could be a sleeper. Closer to home. Dale has some huge crappie on it, I have seen some that a guy who guides there caught, around 17 inches. I dont know if john rush guides for crappie, but its closer, and a days guided trip would be worth it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    Thats a big shallow body of water, can get a little rough in the spring. There are a couple of good crappie lakes in MS just south of memphis.Arkabullah? is one, plus if you have any money left. Tunica is just a hop away.
    I've never been to Ms, but have a trip planed, I know a guy that lives close to Sardis. and he gives it a high rating. and he's willing to be our guide for a couple days. my i-pilot will drop crumbs, so we can find the good spots again. hope to have a good trip, but nothing ever goes as planned. where the fishing is good or not, it will be good to go someplace I've never been.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to Enid Lake, Mississippi several times with my Dad when I was growing up in Bama. It's one of the best crappie lakes I've ever seen. Dad went on several Sardis trips with his buddies and he always said it was as good as Enid.

From here I'd go to Kentucky to crappie fish before I'd do the extra travel to Mississippi. If you're bass fishing it's worth the extra travel to visit Alabama. But I am little prejudice when it comes to Bama bass fishing.

RollTide!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    I went to Enid Lake, Mississippi several times with my Dad when I was growing up in Bama. It's one of the best crappie lakes I've ever seen. Dad went on several Sardis trips with his buddies and he always said it was as good as Enid.

From here I'd go to Kentucky to crappie fish before I'd do the extra travel to Mississippi. If you're bass fishing it's worth the extra travel to visit Alabama. But I am little prejudice when it comes to Bama bass fishing.

RollTide!!
    I've fished Alabama over the years, and I find it hard to beat. just thought we would try a different place. and settled on Sardis Ms. hope I'm not sorry later.

Post Thanks / Like
    We were at ky lake for a friends bachelor party last spring and i find it hard to imagine much better crappie fishing. We were on a bass trip but saw several guys cleaning crappie at the dock and didnt see any under 16". Ive heard good stories about crappie fishing ms in the spring but would find it hard to beat ky lake

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    We were at ky lake for a friends bachelor party last spring and i find it hard to imagine much better crappie fishing. We were on a bass trip but saw several guys cleaning crappie at the dock and didnt see any under 16". Ive heard good stories about crappie fishing ms in the spring but would find it hard to beat ky lake
    I know what your saying about ky lake, I've camped and fished Ky and Barkley many times over the years. it was good fishing, but I haven't been back out there sense I started going to Alabama, not that Alabama is any better, thats just the way it's worked out for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have never crappie fished in Miss. do your self a favor and go. I use to live down there a long time ago. There are three lakes in a row and all are great for crappie fishing. You have Sardis, Enid and in my opion the best one is Grenada. I think Grenada's nick name is the crappie capitol of the world. It has been a while since I have fished there but the best I can remember there is a 12" size limit but if they didn't weigh at least 1 1/2 pounds we would just throw them back. You wont find any nicer people and most are willing to help out if you are struggling to find fish. Get you some 12' jig poles and get shallow in the spring and I mean shallow. One of the best memories I had fishing when I was a little boy was when my dad, uncle, and I went fishing one spring day. At the time the limit was 30 per person and in 3 hours we had caught 90 crappie and when we got home we weighed the cooler we had them in and it weighed 255 pounds. That is one dad I will never forget. So yes you should go if you have a chance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CATCHEMALL View Post
    If you have never crappie fished in Miss. do your self a favor and go. I use to live down there a long time ago. There are three lakes in a row and all are great for crappie fishing. You have Sardis, Enid and in my opion the best one is Grenada. I think Grenada's nick name is the crappie capitol of the world. It has been a while since I have fished there but the best I can remember there is a 12" size limit but if they didn't weigh at least 1 1/2 pounds we would just throw them back. You wont find any nicer people and most are willing to help out if you are struggling to find fish. Get you some 12' jig poles and get shallow in the spring and I mean shallow. One of the best memories I had fishing when I was a little boy was when my dad, uncle, and I went fishing one spring day. At the time the limit was 30 per person and in 3 hours we had caught 90 crappie and when we got home we weighed the cooler we had them in and it weighed 255 pounds. That is one dad I will never forget. So yes you should go if you have a chance.
    thanks man, thats what I wanted to hear, from someone here that had fished Sardis, I'll be giving it a try. checking on the rental cabins right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful

Went to Granada last year have family close by it was about June with 20 mph wind waves like the ocean so I left but I'm headed back this weekend prob hire a guide this time. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    I've fished Alabama over the years, and I find it hard to beat. just thought we would try a different place. and settled on Sardis Ms. hope I'm not sorry later.
    You will have a blast crappie fishing in Mississippi and I like to fish new places too. I grew up in Gadsden, AL. We lived 2 miles from the Coosa River, 30 minutes from Weiss Lake and about an hour from G-ville. In the fishing world it don't get much better than that. We would still travel to Mississippi to fish and Dad would take me up to Pickwick once or twice a year and usually between Christmas and New Years we'd load up and drive to South Florida just to fish for a week. Best of all we would take saltfishing trips out in the Gulf and beach fish at Perdido Key. Dad worked at the Goodyear plant and was an outboard mechanic/boat outfitter on the side so he had "fishing buddies" everywhere south of the Mason-Dixon. I got to go with him on a lot of his "business trips". I know where your coming from by wanting to fish different places and you won't regret going to Mississippi.

I miss my Daddy.

Gotta say it, RollTide!!