Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever built a wood boat?

I am working on a Glen L Zip for this winter's project and was wondering if anyone else has ever built their one. I am also looking for a 50s model 30 or 40 horse motor for it. Let me know it anyone has one for sale.

Thanks

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sawinlogs View Post
    I am working on a Glen L Zip for this winter's project and was wondering if anyone else has ever built their one. I am also looking for a 50s model 30 or 40 horse motor for it. Let me know it anyone has one for sale.

Thanks

Mark
    Cool project........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ted_zip_driveway.jpg 
Views:	787 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	4589

That is a picture of one I pulled from the web.

Post Thanks / Like

wood boat

I have several including Johnson, Evinrude, Mercury and several other obscure brands. What year range and horsepower are you interested in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just built a 12 foot jon boat. All I need to do is put the paint on and it is finished. Glad to see someone else is doing it. There is an old boat junk yard on herrington lake near bryants camp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
    I just built a 12 foot jon boat. All I need to do is put the paint on and it is finished. Glad to see someone else is doing it. There is an old boat junk yard on herrington lake near bryants camp.
    --
    I have always steered clear of home made boats, submarines and airplanes but if you have the skills to do that it would be an interesting project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hammer, skill saw, a few big C clamps is all you need to build a boat. That is all I used on mine. Then you just get to learn patience

Post Thanks / Like

Wooden Boat

Although not the kind of boat originally asked about, they built a wooden Jon boat on the Kentucky Afield show sometime in the past. You can see the videos on you tube under KY Afield and Green River Jon Boat. They are interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sawinlogs View Post

Thanks

Mark
    My first boat was a wooden Amish built 14ft. "Switzwer craft" with a 50s 30HP Merc. I learned later that most of those early model outboards were way under rated for racing class reasons. That 30 HP "Kiekhoffer Merc" was closer to 60HP. with a brass prop and would chine walk at speed. Covington marine and later Elsmere marine here in N.Ky had some of those older model Mercs. laying around.

Post Thanks / Like

Old in the fifties

Quote Originally Posted by agreynolds View Post
    I have several including Johnson, Evinrude, Mercury and several other obscure brands. What year range and horsepower are you interested in.
    I really like the 50's models. I would like to put a 1953 to 59 25-45 hp. Thanks. I hope to have this boat done by boating season. There is a get together at Patoka Lake in May and would like to have it ready by then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PRO V LE View Post
    My first boat was a wooden Amish built 14ft. "Switzwer craft" with a 50s 30HP Merc. I learned later that most of those early model outboards were way under rated for racing class reasons. That 30 HP "Kiekhoffer Merc" was closer to 60HP. with a brass prop and would chine walk at speed. Covington marine and later Elsmere marine here in N.Ky had some of those older model Mercs. laying around.
    I remember elsmere having thos old motors around. I will have to find out from Weida if he can get ahold of the old boy that owned them. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what it looks loke so far

Well I am moving along hope to have sheeting on by weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boat framing.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	4602  

Post Thanks / Like
    That look neat!!!

Billy