Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Corinth Lake - temporarily close for shad eradication

Corinth Lake in Grant County will be closed to the public from Jan. 20 through Feb. 2.

Fisheries biologists with the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources plan to spray the 96-acre lake with a chemical designed to eliminate gizzard shad. Although the chemical is not harmful to humans, wildlife or pets, the department will close the lake as a precaution.

The department is taking action because shad, which were introduced from an unknown source, are affecting the growth of bluegill and redear sunfish in the lake. Shad are prohibited from being used as bait in Corinth Lake because of their potential to harm the panfish fishery.

Kentucky Fish and Wildlife manages this lake for fishing. Gizzard shad removal will help begin the restoration of the panfish fishery that was once popular at Corinth Lake.

The eradication will have minimal impact to bass, catfish and panfish in Corinth Lake. The department has performed similar shad removal projects over the past 20 years at several small impoundments, including Beaver, Elmer Davis and McNeely lakes.

KDFW

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. This should help the fishing there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wish they would do that at wilgreen

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos19 View Post
    Interesting. This should help the fishing there.
    they did this a few years back but didn't seem to slow down the shad population.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anybody been back to lake? I have never fish there and was thinking about going, so I did a search for corinth and came across this post.

Anybody been to this lake since the gizzard shad eradication?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Corinth

I just read about this last night in the Fish & Wildlife newsletter. It sounds to me like you are out of luck if you want to catch Red Ear since they are all but gone and have been for some time. It also sounds like if you are out for Bass then you may be in luck as that has actually helped the Bass population.

I'm a crappie fisherman. The article didn't mention them but my guess is they are limited in numbers and probably small due to the shad. Anyone have any recent experience (1-2 years) fishing for crappie at Corinth?

I was thinking of trying it this spring until I read that article.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope that don't (JACK AROUND) and kill almost everything in there like they did at Elmer Davis a few years ago. They said the shad had gotten out of hand.Then they had this big brain storm of a idea to poison 1/2 the lake with the hopes of all the GOOD FISH going to the GOOD SIDE and the shad being killed and then vice-versa with the other side of the lake after a short time. Well needless to say IT DID NOT WORK!!!!! SO GOOD LUCK TO CORINTH AND ALL THE PEOPLE THAT FISH THERE!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PopeyeMaker View Post
    I hope that don't (JACK AROUND) and kill almost everything in there like they did at Elmer Davis a few years ago. They said the shad had gotten out of hand.Then they had this big brain storm of a idea to poison 1/2 the lake with the hopes of all the GOOD FISH going to the GOOD SIDE and the shad being killed and then vice-versa with the other side of the lake after a short time. Well needless to say IT DID NOT WORK!!!!! SO GOOD LUCK TO CORINTH AND ALL THE PEOPLE THAT FISH THERE!!!!
    Rest assured that they didn't hurt the bass population at Elmer Davis one bit. At this time last year, my partner and I were on 'em pretty good. In 8 trips there, we caught 12 bass between 5 and 6 pounds. If the fishing was any better before that, I'd have been sleeping in my truck at the ramp. Oh yeah - I've got pictures to back it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hairball View Post
    Rest assured that they didn't hurt the bass population at Elmer Davis one bit. At this time last year, my partner and I were on 'em pretty good. In 8 trips there, we caught 12 bass between 5 and 6 pounds. If the fishing was any better before that, I'd have been sleeping in my truck at the ramp. Oh yeah - I've got pictures to back it up.
    I was not referring to the bass population. Anytime you can go down there and catch 35 on a Friday evening, the bass are fine. You can always catch bass down there. It has been several year ago when the FISHKILL happened. All in the name of progress of course..but as long as water runs in it, you will not keep the shad out...

Post Thanks / Like
    I can remember when the KDFW tried this on Elmer Davis they drained the lake way down and said the shad would go to a certain area and they could kill them out.....well that didnt work to good there was dead catfish,bass,bluegill all over the banks it was a mess..this has been many years back. It has taken a while and alot of restocking to get it back to what it is now..and the lake still has a LARGE shad population!!! Hopefully they know more about what they are doing now then they did back then