Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    I have SI at the console but would have absolutely no need for it at the trolling motor. If im searching for brush/fish im idling and looking. If im on the trolling motor im fishing. A lot of guys that have si at the trolling motor say the turning of the transducer when you spin the motor completely screws up the si picture.

I rarely use my DI, i learned on sonar and still feel like i can tell more by looking at the sonar picture than the di picture. If i see something i question ill flip it over to the di and make my best conclusion. If youre only going to have one unit with gps and its also your si unit, you almost have to have it at the console to run
    I feel almost EXACTLY the same way. I still use the DI quite a bit on both my units, but SI on the front would almost be a waste if you ask me.......

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Side Imagine and GPS are invaluable IMHO in a depth finder

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I'm looking at Humminbird and Lowrance to determine which is best. I'm willing to spend about $1200, but it is difficult understanding all the features. I like the Humminbird 898C HD SI, but need to determine the value of side imaging. What about the Lowrance HDS7. Lastly, is it worth the money to upgrade or should I just stay with a 5" screen which would be a little less.

I'm sure this is a frequent question, but would appreciate others input.

Thanks!
    I love my Humminbird 898C SI unit and won't go fishing without it or something similar to that.

Some of the newer Humminbirds have a better screen display which can be seen easier in bright sunlight. I can see my unit when it's in the shade but it's much harder to see things on the screen in sunlight. I can make a digital recording and bring the SDHC card inside and put it into my computer and use some third party software to display the recording on my computer monitor and see much more detail than I can out in the field in the sunlight. As the room is darker than outside and my computer monitor is much larger than the screen on my Humminbird unit.

My recommendation is to get the biggest screen size and resolution that you can afford unless you are going to use it inside a house boat or something similar.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer Humminbird. Their switchfire 2D sonar is much better in my opinion. The 2D is what I use most to find active fish, I can just read it better and can get better feedback about what fish are doing. The side imaging and down imaging is great for finding fish, but the switchfire is what helps me determine if I can catch them or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    When 2d images can match the DI image below :

Then I'll go back to 2d !! LOL !!!

(Image taken with Lowrance Elite 5DSI unit, transducer mounted on TM.)

And, yes, both TM mounted DI & SI images will get "screwed up" with quick turns of the TM ... but, once the TM head is stationary, the image will clear up. And you do have to be aware of which way the TM head is pointing, since the sonar ping of a DI or SI is a narrow fan shaped band that emanates from the transducer at a 90deg angle (to each side).

Personally, I wouldn't pay too much attention (if any) to the commercial images shown on the packaging or in ads, when comparing brands. I also wouldn't take too much comfort in image comparisons between owners of different brands, since the owners could be miles apart in their understanding of their respective units, & their experience level with those units.

But I do concur with contacting Brian @ BBG Marine ... for the best deal, as well as consulting with him on what unit would be the best for whatever purpose you intend to use it for, and even where to mount it.

... pappy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imported Photos 00073.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	9585  
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll agree, the down image is great for finding cover and fish, but 2D is better for finding the size, activity level, and "mood" of the fish. Once I find them with the down and side image, I switch to 2D. To each their own tho.