Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Advice on a new reel

I purchase a new reel each winter (that tax refund comes in handy). For about 4 years, I bought Shimano Chronarch MG's and loved them. Two years ago I bought a Shimano Core and absolutely love that reel! Last year, I bought one of the new Ardent reels and I hate the thing. So, this year I was planning on getting another Core but now I'm entertaining the idea of buying one of the Quantum KVD Tour baitcasting reels. Any advice on this reel?

Post Thanks / Like
    ABU Garcia Revo SX or STX. I guarantee you will NOT be disappointed.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Try the new LEWs BB reels. I have heard some good reports on them, $125-160.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my Revo SX...I have some more expensive reels, but this is my favorite.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just serviced about 10 KVDs a couple weeks ago for a customer that uses them hard. They seem to be pretty well built and have held up nicely under his extreme use.

Chris
    Reel Cleen--Reel & Rod Service
    Newkirk Custom Rods

Post Thanks / Like
    I second the Lews. I have always used Shimano as well but bought a Lews to try out for last season. The reels are put together very well and they throw a mile. I would be sure to check them out before purchasing anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    If youre accustomed to using high end shimanos i dont think theres a quantum that will satisfy you. Im a shimano guy and have tried several other brands but keep coming back to shimano

I have heard nothing but good things about the lews but havent tried one yet. Figure ill pick one up sooner or later but will probably just stick to my shomanos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by voeller101 View Post
    I purchase a new reel each winter (that tax refund comes in handy). For about 4 years, I bought Shimano Chronarch MG's and loved them. Two years ago I bought a Shimano Core and absolutely love that reel! Last year, I bought one of the new Ardent reels and I hate the thing. So, this year I was planning on getting another Core but now I'm entertaining the idea of buying one of the Quantum KVD Tour baitcasting reels. Any advice on this reel?
    If you're willing to spend the money stick with the Shimano Core.....why change if you like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a big Lews fan. I have all three Shimano, Quantum, and Lews. I agree for the money they cast a mile, handle hard hook sets, and hold a ton of line. Good luck on any decision.

Dan

Evansvillebassmasters.webs.com
    Evansville Bassmasters Bass Club|Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also a fan of the Chronarch MGs. I have four of them. I would probably have more but they were discontinued, as I'm sure you know. The last reel I bought was a Revo MGX that I put on a 7' 10" Duckett Micro Magic rod. So far, I haven't found the slightest thing to dislike about either one. I suggest you get an MGX in your hand before you make your final decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hairball View Post
    I'm also a fan of the Chronarch MGs. I have four of them. I would probably have more but they were discontinued, as I'm sure you know. The last reel I bought was a Revo MGX that I put on a 7' 10" Duckett Micro Magic rod. So far, I haven't found the slightest thing to dislike about either one. I suggest you get an MGX in your hand before you make your final decision.
    Thanks everybody. I think that I'll stick with the Core because I know that I love it. And with Shimano, they're likely to quit making it in the next 3 to 4 years so I better get 'em while I can. I'm going to try to talk my fishing buddy into getting one of the Quantum KVD's. Then I can use it too. Lol