View Poll Results: Which one is the Asian Carp

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll

44 61.97%

5 7.04%

22 30.99%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    I voted 2 because part of the problem is asian carp look so much like a shad that people mistake the two when they are young and then transports them from one body of water to another to use as bait. Number two looks like a shad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    No, but that is a good name. Could also be Mississippi Tuna, Indiana Tuna, or what ever state you are in Tuna.

My son and I unknowingly ate some last fall in a resturaunt. See article.

Asian Carp Good Eating
    belive it or not gar is very good eating as well, I have tried it one time, it is a difficult fish to clean, I couldn't get a knife through the skin so I used tin snips, it is a very foul smelling creature, not to much different than a shark, but all in all they taste pretty good if you can get through cleaning them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by linedrager View Post
    belive it or not gar is very good eating as well, I have tried it one time, it is a difficult fish to clean, I couldn't get a knife through the skin so I used tin snips, it is a very foul smelling creature, not to much different than a shark, but all in all they taste pretty good if you can get through cleaning them.
    Growing up in Alabama one of my family favorites was Gar Boulettes. You have to bleed and gut the fish immediately after catching it (while avoiding the teeth) and keep it on ice for an hour or so. You then fillet the skin off the meat then fillet the meat from the carcass. A serrated fillet knife works very well.

I convinced my hubby to keep a musky one time and tried the Gar Boulette recipe with it. It didn't work and I still catch heck from him because of the odor the musky left on the boat carpet. He always says a musky is living proof that gar and carp-----have relationships.

Post Thanks / Like

KDFW Seeks Input-Limit Spread of Asian Carp

Survey address:
    https://www.research.net/s/KY_Bait_Fish_Public_Input

The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources is seeking public input on a proposal to limit the spread of Asian carp in the state's waterways. Anglers are invited to go online to fw.ky.gov to take a survey about proposed regulations regarding the movement of live Asian carp.

Ron Brooks, fisheries director for Kentucky Fish and Wildlife, noted that several states are banning the movement of live Asian carp. "These fish are a major threat to Kentucky's native aquatic ecosystems," Brooks said. "We must stop their further spread."

Asian carp, which include silver carp and bighead carp, can out-compete native fish for food. These invasive species also threaten Kentucky's ecological systems, recreational boaters, anglers and the commercial and sport fishing industries. Asian carp multiply quickly and can adapt and live in almost any river or lake in Kentucky.

Asian carp now exist along the entire length of the Ohio River bordering Kentucky. They also are found in Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley, the Kentucky River, the Salt River and many tributaries of these systems.

Asian carp can spread quickly if they are transported alive and are then used for food or live bait. Anglers who wrongly identify Asian carp as native shad or skipjack may unintentionally release these invaders into uninfected waters.

To reduce the potential for the unintentional spread of Asian carp, Kentucky Fish and Wildlife may propose a regulation that would restrict all movement of live Asian carp, regardless of how they are caught or collected.

In addition, Kentucky Fish and Wildlife is considering a regulation that would restrict the movement of all live bait-fish from the water in which they are caught or collected to any other water body, because young Asian carp look like shad and could easily be introduced into new waters accidentally by anglers moving bait-fish from one body of water to another.

Results of the survey will be presented at the March 8 meeting of the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission.

Post Thanks / Like

The lateral line gives it away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could this be a trick question? #1 is the silver and # 2 is definitely a shad. Could #3 be an asian grass carp? making 1 and 3 correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kydonky View Post
    Could this be a trick question? #1 is the silver and # 2 is definitely a shad. Could #3 be an asian grass carp? making 1 and 3 correct?
    Not a trick question, but your question emphasizes the potential problem here of somebody unknowingly infesting a land locked lake with asian carp that otherwise would have remained free of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a trick question, but your question emphasizes the potential problem here of somebody unknowingly infesting a land locked lake with asian carp that otherwise would have remained free of them.
    That is a VERY good point.

Post Thanks / Like

Answer: Number 1 is the Asian Carp

Number 1 is the correct answer.

Live in a net or in a livewell I think it would be difficult at best to tell.

onemorecast56 Guest
    your right Peter,,I know people who that shad out of the river to take to cumberland,,boy thats could be trouble

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO the only common sense thing to do is make it illegal to transport bait from one body of water to another. I hope the state does so before it's too late for many of our lakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Number 1 is the correct answer.

Live in a net or in a livewell I think it would be difficult at best to tell.
    I cast net shad in the Ky river, but I can't keep them alive long enough to transport them anywhere. I would not transport anyway. Even if they were not asian carp any shad could harm a lake under the right conditions.

But this brings up me big question. How safe are bait shop shinners and minows?? I never release even bait shop bait but there have been a few slip the hook.