Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Off-Topics Forum

I am trying a change where you have to be logged in to view the Off-Topics forum.

In other words Guests (not logged in) to the forum will not be able to see that forum at all.

It's the only way I know of to block the search engines from picking up posts in that forum. I have read where having unrelated topics in a specialized forum like fishing can hinder showing search results for that site.

There may be another way but I am not aware of it at time. Looking into it.

If anybody knows more about or has any thoughts, let me know.

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Peter,

I agree. I can't offer any suggestions for the technology side of the question.

I do offer this. Given the site is primarily for fishing and hunting enthusiasts, and given the site's "image (way folks precieve those who contribute here)" is improtant to the feasibility of the site, I think it's a good idea to have Off-Topics be a "members only area".

Candidly, and I take my share of the blame, most of the comments there, and topics discussed, do little to further the image of the site as supporting the angler and hunter who seeks information about those endeavors.

To view it another way, casual vistors to the site gain insights and information about hunting and fishing, and once they see the benefit, and visit more frequently, they generate hits on the server that are good for the site. Once they see the benefit of the site and elect a more formal, participation type relationship with the site thru membership, then they would get the additional "benefit", of the Off-Topics site.

I agree Off-Topice ought be for members only.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for taking the time to write down your thoughts Bob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anhui I was wondering what had happened. I never thought about that aspect of the site but I understand it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang, and i thought i missed an epic thread lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know whether the SEO part is true or not but the rest of your reasoning is certainly valid. It just might convert a few lurkers to members.