Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Free Healthcare for all Americans.

I am curious on everyone's take on this. I do not know how it would work 100%, But I have many Ideas. I think it would be another notch in Americas belt on why this could be one of the greatest places on earth to live when you look in terms of quality of life.

I know everyone speaks of how we would pay outrageous amounts of taxes and people would abuse it, but if you take a step back and seriously look at the status of the united states, Unemployment and welfare, Debt in the trillions to other countries, drop in the dollar value. Even though that is valid opposition, what has been going on for the last 50 years plus, is obviously not working and only putting this country even further in the toilet.

I think this would be an amazing benefit of being an american, knowing your friends and neighbors and total strangers have the right to be taken care of regardless of how rich or poor they are, healthcare solely based on the value of a human life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like everything else, life is a series of tradeoffs.

There are countries with "free" health care. To get that health care, their citizens have accepted a lower quality of care, long waits for routine procedures, denial of services, and a lack of autonomy when it comes to their own life decisions.

Nothing is free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    Like everything else, life is a series of tradeoffs.

There are countries with "free" health care. To get that health care, their citizens have accepted a lower quality of care, long waits for routine procedures, denial of services, and a lack of autonomy when it comes to their own life decisions.

Nothing is free.
    How do you pay for it?

The current payment for Medicare is 21 % That comes to 760 BILLION dollars/ year.

Policy Basics: Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go? ? Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Medicare covers about 13% (42 million of 315 million Americans) so simple math would equate to 760 Billion x 7.6 = 5.7 Trillion Dollars.

5.7 Trilliion....what REALLY is that........ 5,700,000,000,000

Our GDP for 2011 was 14.9 Trillion........that is how much we produced.........Gross Domestic Product. So, before we do anything, like protect your RIGHT to ask for free health care, we take 5.7 TRILLION Dollars to give to everyone for a feelgood idea of "Free " health care.

What do you suppose will happen to this GREAT nation if we did that...........

Greece, Spain, Portugal, Germany, France, Italy, The Netherlands,Belguim, Ireland........those all come to mind.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Deven Hall View Post
    I am curious on everyone's take on this. I do not know how it would work 100%, But I have many Ideas. I think it would be another notch in Americas belt on why this could be one of the greatest places on earth to live when you look in terms of quality of life.

I know everyone speaks of how we would pay outrageous amounts of taxes and people would abuse it, but if you take a step back and seriously look at the status of the united states, Unemployment and welfare, Debt in the trillions to other countries, drop in the dollar value. Even though that is valid opposition, what has been going on for the last 50 years plus, is obviously not working and only putting this country even further in the toilet.

I think this would be an amazing benefit of being an american, knowing your friends and neighbors and total strangers have the right to be taken care of regardless of how rich or poor they are, healthcare solely based on the value of a human life.
    Just a few thoughts that come to mind,,,,,
    I think it would be a mistake. Do you think the advances made in healthcare, cures, treatments and specialized care for the elderly and infants thus far would have happened if we all had free healthcare?? Money has to flow to the people who save the lives or provide the tools to do so. Free healthcare means the gubment is running the show and as we see time and time again it would crash down just like anything that is managed by people who have no "skin" in the game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Money is in the treatment, not the cure. The government, like you said, would have nothing to gain therefore we would get better care since its not about who is willing to pay the most, we would all have access to the same treatment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Money is in the treatment, not the cure. The government, like you said, would have nothing to gain therefore we would get better care since its not about who is willing to pay the most, we would all have access to the same treatment.
    Can you imagine the cost to keep hospital doors open?? I cannot imagine the money it would take to keep millions of people employed and buildings up kept and on and on. This money would come from who? I'm a firm believer that next to nothing is free.
    Heck in little ole Lexington we have thousands and thousands of healthcare employees and new construction in those facilities all the time. Some of which cost 50-100 million dollars. Who pays for that? Times a thousands other cities every year?

Just did a little reading about Japan's healthcare System. It's similar (not free but close) to what your talking about and yes there have been some good and bad points to the idea of the gvmnt owned healthcare. It's not without problems and a few problems are money, access, abuse and anything that's usually associated with free. I just don't see it. It sounds great but just take a look at how the VA hospitals are run and see if that isn't a glimpse into what it might be like.

Post Thanks / Like

free health insurance?

First change your name to garcia or sanchez, go to the food stamp office and get your vouchers for free everything, and thank the farmer who hires you for the oppurtunity to live in this great country.

Post Thanks / Like

In the end, the consumers would pay more for "free" healthcare than they do currently.

We'd all be better off just worrying about and paying for our own health care than relying on the government or employers to make those important decisions for us.

Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly can't believe someone could actually believe this.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are three main criteria by which we judge our healthcare: accessibility, quality of care, and affordability. I have yet to see a system that can deliver all three. In the US we've made the last two a priority (which is not to say it's always been affordable for everyone), at the expense of the first. Other places have made it universally accessible, but the quality of care has suffered.

Sure, Deven, we'd all love to see universal healthcare for everybody. We'd also like to see an end to world hunger. And for the terrorists to lay down their arms and renounce violence.

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of people seem to have trouble with the government regulating it, but the problem is not the government its the american public that consistently elecst these money hungry elected officials. I honestly see what you guys are saying, but I just cant wrap my head around the thought that someone would be opposed to raise the quality of life for everyone around them simply because we all would have a little more load to bare.

Everyone always wants to point the finger at our government like its some secret society that just puts whoever it wants into whatever position they want. We elected every single one of them by standing in a voting booth and selecting their name on a ballet. Free healthcare is not the problem, our elected officials are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Free healthcare is not the problem, our elected officials are.
    Free healthcare doesn't exist.

But I do agree that our elected officials are the cause of most of our problem.