Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Boca Orange Seal

I have a few Revo SX's with high usage on them and thinking about installing the Boca Orange seal bearings. Any thoughts and feedback are welcomed.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 2 Curados, E5 E7, one is for cranks, one for weightless plastics. I installed Orange Seals in both. I threw cranks a pretty good deal further, but not so much on the weightless. I then swapped lures, and the results were pretty much the same. Your mileage may vary.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put a set in one of my curado e7s and noticed a considerable difference. You can cast the same distance with much less effort and this is comparing it to a new reel with stock bearings. If you feel like your reels have lost some performance they'll be well worth your money. Have you cleaned your reel and bearings? Ive taken some fairly poor performing reels and cleaned and reoiled the bearings and its brought them back to life

Post Thanks / Like
    Love them

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard a lot of people rave about them and there is a guy on BBC that sells them for about 20 bucks I think. I agree with cleaning your reel (well) and then oiling and greasing as applicable. short of a crank bait, how often do you really need to cast a country mile? I fish a lot of short flips and pitches and accurate casts to structure. I can cast accurately for a distance long enough for me to be in the strike zone for as long as I think I need to or as long as my patience allows. Most bearings are made of stainless steel which is incredibly hard. There is absolutely no way I can see a person could wear out a stainless bearing unless they had a lot of dirt and grease in their reel for years. Even then, I would be surprised if the bearings were damaged and couldn't be cleaned and oiled and work flawlessly. thats just my .02

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks dont realize that the primary difference between a $75.00 reel and a $125.00 reel is the cheaper reel has cheaper bearings and the more expensive reel has a higher grade of bearings and an extra set or more of that higher grade bearing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IronWorker View Post
    Folks dont realize that the primary difference between a $75.00 reel and a $125.00 reel is the cheaper reel has cheaper bearings and the more expensive reel has a higher grade of bearings and an extra set or more of that higher grade bearing.

Actually most reels come the factory with abec5 ss bearings and the bearings are interchangable from the high end reels down to the lowest quality line that a certain company produces. The number of bearings also isnt a really big deal. Companies are starting to "hide" bearings in the handles and different places just to make their reels sound better to the consumer. You have three spool bearings and a roller bearing that actually play a big roll in how your reel performs. Dont believe all the hoopla when you hear companies talking about having 8-10 bearings in a reel

Post Thanks / Like
    The short answer to your question...they're awesome if you can afford them. I'd be careful when buying them from somewhere other than directly from Boca. I've read where people have got a really good deal on the orange seal bearings from somewhere else only to have them turn out to be imitations.