Search Fishin.com

Thread: New Humminbird

Post Thanks / Like

New Humminbird

Does anyone have the new Humminbird 598 ci hd si comb unit? Would like to know some opinions about this unit or any suggestions on fish finders around this price range. Thanks in Advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
    Does anyone have the new Humminbird 598 ci hd si comb unit? Would like to know some opinions about this unit or any suggestions on fish finders around this price range. Thanks in Advance
    I have this unit, but mine is the DI. With the navionics hot map and Fuzzy upgrading the software system in mine. I am very happy. I would definitely get the SI instead of the DI. I think much more useful of a tool. Fishing has become like a video game for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Where would you mount it? Trolling motor or rear of boat. I have read somewhere that SI is not good on the TM.

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling Motor

The thought that SI is not usefull on the trolling motor is ridiculous. You can see fish to the sides just out of cast range at times that you'd other wise be missing. Also if you mark something when mounted up front you'll always be facing it no matter what direction your trying to fish from. It's alright to have at console when idling around just scouting for fish or fishable structure, but if I could only have one SI unit it would sure be mounted at the trolling motor to where you can take full advantage of it wether using 2=d , down imaging or si. Marking & fishing small offshore spots is easy with unit at trolling motor versus the rear of the boat. I fish from the front & not the back where any units mounted at jackplate are showing what's behind the boat which is history after you've passed it. Up front is way more helpfull by far in my opinion. You could always have a transducer mounted at both ends, one at trolling motor & one at jackplate or transom & move your unit back & forth & be able to do it all with just one unit. I've actually saw people see fish when mounted at jackplate & on a ram mount turn unit 180* to where they can see it when looking back & try to fish for them & can't understand why they aren't getting bit until you finally get it across to them that what they are seeing is in back of the boat & history. I've tried it both ways & have mine up front where it's at its best in my opinion, but to each their own. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
    Where would you mount it? Trolling motor or rear of boat. I have read somewhere that SI is not good on the TM.
    I have mine mounted on the rear of my right pontoon. I am usually searching for bait and stripers. My only issue is that I can't quite get it low enough in the water. I thought it was the main engine wire "causing noise" in the line and screen, actually it was air/turbulence because it was not deep enough. I really like the unit. I still have my fish ID on, which people make fun of me for...but my daughterand wife likes to see all the "fishies" I can keep them on the water for hours, as loong as they know there are possible bites there.

Post Thanks / Like

Rob

Let them make fun. When I first got my 798 ci si unit mounted at trolling motor my tournament partner & I went to Green River Lake to fish, but mosyly experiment. I moved it from console to trolling motor I might add. I used the fish id when I went to split screen the 2-d & down Imaging. You could see a school of bait come on screen in 2-d, but when you saw a school come on screen with fish id symbols showing up in them you coull literelly drop straight down & put fish in the boat. When there weren't any symbols in the baitfish school you never got bit. You tell me what could possibly be the problem with that ???