Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Kayaking the Licking River

I live near the Florence area in northern KY and I am about to buy my buddy's old kayak off of him (he just bought a new one). I was wondering if anyone knew of any places that wouldn't be too far of a drive for me to put in and take out of the Licking River. My interest is mainly bass fishing in the river.

Also are there any canoe places that will take me and my kayak up river? If so, do you know how much they charge for that?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    At one time or another my buddies and I had done the entire length of the Licking River from West Liberty above Cave Run to the Ohio River. The way we did it was to have two vehicles. Drop one off at your take out point then haul your yaks to a start point and leave your vehicle there fish down stream to your pick up point then return for your other vehicle. We usually did three day trips. If your just out for the day arrange for friend to drop you off and pick a spot to meet later. On the sout fork in Falmouth The canoe livery (if still there)would drop you off and you float back to the Livery. Used to be a good stretch for smallmouth and redeye. Not sure lately with the otters. Another good choice is Raven Creek in Harrison County And a little further down the road in Scott County (Georgetown) is Elkhorn Creek . We just used road maps to look for good put in and take out places and asked locals if we could park. I do recommend you do it with a buddy in case of mishaps. Also Eagle creek is a good choice

Post Thanks / Like
    Alot of info about kayak fishing in Kentucky on Yakangler.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfewiz View Post
    Alot of info about kayak fishing in Kentucky on Yakangler.com
    x2

Post Thanks / Like

Bluegrass Yakmasters

Bluegrass Yakmasters has a tournament there on July 27th.

https://www.facebook.com/bluegrassyakmasters

Post Thanks / Like
    You can put in at the park in Newport near mouth or Frederic's Landing off AA a couple miles downstream. Lots of prep school rowers use the park. Current usually not bad so not much problem getting back up. Mouth of bank lick creek usually holds fish of all types.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thaxtons Canoe in Butler, they have a drop off and pick up service they also offer trips, camping and rental, very nice people and reasonable prices. We always took two trucks and canoed from one to the other. I've found the better fishing is down on the South Fork , Good Luck