Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

New Sauger fisherman.

I am mainly a crappie, bluegill, catfish guy but would love to try my hand at some sauger. I unfortunately don't have a boat. Do most of my fishing from a float tube. So, am I gonna be able to currently catch sauger around the the actual locks or are they mainly below the dam? I have good access to lock 3 & 4. but only from the bank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ron1 View Post
    I am mainly a crappie, bluegill, catfish guy but would love to try my hand at some sauger. I unfortunately don't have a boat. Do most of my fishing from a float tube. So, am I gonna be able to currently catch sauger around the the actual locks or are they mainly below the dam? I have good access to lock 3 & 4. but only from the bank.
    what dam are you fishing, right now you should be able to catch from the bank.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Frankfort so I am close to 3 & 4. Only have access to the lock side on both.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Sauger from the bank

ron1, I fish the Greenup dam on the Ohio river. I have a very nice boat but one condition my wife had was that I not put the boat in the Ohio river. I made that concession so now my sauger fishing is done from the shoreline. When fishing the tail waters here at the Greenup dam you need to be fairly sure footed due to all the rip rap rock usually found in those areas which can be dangerous. I have a couple of areas I fish that might be more suited for a mountain goat. The first thing I recommend is to take time out to watch others fishing the same area since you will be a new comer. The anglers familiar with the water know how to read the water for the pools and the current breaks. Watch them and notice what the water is doing in the areas they are fishing. Watch how fast they are fishing and duplicate. Its usually super slow. Bottom dragging bottom bouncing type of technique. Sauger are bottom huggers. They are from the walleye family so they like bright baits at times. Other times they like fluke style baits in a natural color, White/black or a pearl color. Use a 3 to 4 inch culry tail grub on a 1/4 to 3/8 ounce lead head jig. Use light line, 6 lb would be great. Gets your bait down quicker with lighter line. This is the river so you are always at risk with the lighter line if something other than a sauger hits like a striper, smallmouth, etc. If your tail waters are like the ones I fish then you will loose baits due to getting wedged in the underwater rip rap. Take plenty of jig heads and curly tail jigs. A nice long rod, 8 or 81/2 would be nice to launch those baits from the shoreline but ok if you don't have. Talk to the others fishing. Sauger usually just load up on your rod. Not always a big strike type of hit. Have fun. The best advice I ever had was " go early and stay late"
    Last edited by enrhb; 02-08-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: add picture

Post Thanks / Like

sauger fishing from the shore pictures

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CROWDED SAUGER FISHING.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	4766 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAUGER2.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	4767 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ME AND A SAUGER.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	4768

ron1, this may give you a little more of an idea that sauger fishing can still be successful from the shoreline.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAUGER1.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	4769  
    Last edited by peter; 02-09-2013 at 01:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by enrhb View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CROWDED SAUGER FISHING.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	4766Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAUGER2.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	4767Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ME AND A SAUGER.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	4768ron1, this may give you a little more of an idea that sauger fishing can still be successful from the shoreline.
    OH Yea...........

Lets eat those........NOW.

Post Thanks / Like
    baked some in butter last night ummm!!! alot of bank fishermen at mcalpine outfish the boat guys, just like business, location location location!!! if your not catching move move move!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Those sure would look good next to some coleslaw and hushpuppies. Gonna go after them this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

ron1

Sauger Readily Bite in the Cold Water of Late Winter and Early Spring click on this article and there may be something you might be interested in or helpful since you are new to sauger fishing.