Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Attack on Fishing

I was on Bassmaster.com and saw an article about a Congressman in Maine who wants to ban soft plastics in that state. You can let them know you oppose this by clicking on a tab within the article. I just did it. If we let this happen there then we can expect it to make its way around our country. I don't expect it to pass but then look at what is going on now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter1 View Post
    I was on Bassmaster.com and saw an article about a Congressman in Maine who wants to ban soft plastics in that state. You can let them know you oppose this by clicking on a tab within the article. I just did it. If we let this happen there then we can expect it to make its way around our country. I don't expect it to pass but then look at what is going on now.
    It's a constant attack on your rights as a fisherman, hunter or outdoorsman. Many people feel we harm the environment and hurt populations of game with our fishing and hunting. It's special interest groups who are usually behind this stuff. I love fishing Maine and plastics are what we use the most..but your right it doesn't stop with Maine. If this ever grabs a foothold it will grow just as lead free areas and of course the latest attempt at control.........gun control.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don you are right on. It will never stop. People will never leave well enough alone.

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Whats the concern with plastics? Was issue raised by a nightcrawler farmer?

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Okay...I'm stupid, so enlighten me.

What the heck politics drives a rubber worm? Is it we don't want to support third world terrorist rubber companies?

How and the heck do we tie a rubber worm to a political outcry?

Darn......the sky is falling....the sky is falling.....a worm hit me on the head.

I agree, if some state is trying to outlaw a rubber worm, it's adverse to fishing and needs to be addressed as such.

But not every bad decision is of necessity some sub-culture, overthrow the world, end of the world threat.

Really.....what is the substance of the worm referendum.....why is this being raised as an issue? Why do the folks trying to make the law think a rubber worm is a problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    According to the article, if I remember it right, there was no reason given as to why the baits should be banned. And they do not have rubber in their contents. I really don't think it will pass; or at least I am hopeful it won't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter1 View Post
    According to the article, if I remember it right, there was no reason given as to why the baits should be banned. And they do not have rubber in their contents. I really don't think it will pass; or at least I am hopeful it won't.
    The bill doesn't explain a thing. Sure would be nice if they had to show their work!! Lol like in school....remember?? Ok you got the answer but how did you get there? What or who made this guy think this was a good idea? Like the article said Maine gets a ton of money from non residents during their fishing season so who would try and restrict that? I don't remember seeing a lot of trash there when I fished 7 different lakes. Actually it was amazing at how clean it looked.
    The article mentioned they teamed up with ASA so it's being taken seriously enough to get a team together to fight it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know the reason but if I had to guess I assume that the reason is environmental. Probably some fanatical environmentalist that believes that plastic and rubber lures lost in fresh water lakes are a potential hazard.

Maine gets a lot of money from fishing and tourism related to the sport. I seriously doubt this gets any traction.

Post Thanks / Like

The article

First, I have not read the article but I have tried to observe the political process for a few years. Those were the driving issues behind my observations. It was not to step on any toes with those observations. I was not the one who used words like libtards and sub culture. Many times, bills proposed are brought about because politicans trade big money contributions for support of contributors personal or corporate agendas. That doesn't make this a terrorism issue but it does cause me to ask about the mechanics behind many issues. I think DJD's comments have been good here. At least they haven't spewed with venom. I still say that it is fair for fishermen to be able to discuss fishing related issues in a fishing forum and maybe it should be or will be moved to another area but Bassmaster thought it was important enough to publish and the moderators of this board have left it here.
    I will not discuss this issue further. My only interaction with Maine was a tenant I had a couple of years back. Bad experience, still recovering from it. I hope this situation works out better.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a politician making an uneducated decision about something that will infringe on the enjoyment of our sport.

I don't think its much of a jump to see the similarities between the issue in Maine and the nation wide issue of gun control. GeoFisher might have been a little loud in his ideas but at some point enough is enough with the mindless outlawing of things that these politicians know nothing about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keeping folks here informed of attacks on fishing/hunting and similar related topics is fine. Turning such topics into political rants, not fine. All of the political rants have been removed.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    My guess its just anpther way too pass a law & then make money off the anglers back.Money Money
    If it starts in Maine it will spread like a virus.About moving too Off Topic too bury it so most don't read it...Most of the topics could be moved there from fishing because A lowance don't catch fish,line helps & who needs a rod too catch them.Maybe we should just keep it too the art & enjoyment of the sport of fishing..Peace
    Terry