Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Asian Carp Processing Plant to open in May

Fish factory to turn pest into profit

Hopefully this will help the problem to some extent. I do worry though that if it becomes too profitable, in the future there will be people that will want to "manage" Asian Carp instead of eradicating them.

What do others think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Fish factory to turn pest into profit

Hopefully this will help the problem to some extent. I do worry though that if it becomes too profitable, in the future there will be people that will want to "manage" Asian Carp instead of eradicating them.

What do others think?
    Good and BAD news.........Good news that we're getting a method of eradicating asian carp. Bad news in that I'm sure there will be some gamefish mortality with the netting that goes on to get these bad boys.

I suspect the netting will be a necessary evil and that some gamefish will die..........

I don't know any alternatives though.......hopefully the negatives are very minimal to the impact of the fisheries.

later,

geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good. I hope they have to keep some data on what else gets killed, so they can adjust their techniques. On a side note.....I always wondered why they couldn't use these carp in cat food? If its a processing issue then plants like these might hit the jackpot. It's a step in the right direction!

Post Thanks / Like
    When and where is the next public forums addressing the asian carp problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like for the state to hold a week long fishing tournament for the carp. You can bow fish, net rod n reel or what ever to catch your fish. Who ever has the most weight at the end of the week wins $5000.00. You could get some serious weight of dead carp.

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as eradication goes, that will never happen unless they are willing to kill everything in the river. They will always be with us. The good news is that if there is a way to make money off them, they will find a way to harvest them and in return, reduce the numbers. Personally I can't see nets as being mandatory to get large numbers. They seem to be very sensitive to pressure waves so I think it would be very easy to drop a couple of electrical wires out the front of the boat and put a mild electrical current in the water. Those thing would be flying all over the place. Why net them if they will just jump in the boat. Of course once the numbers are reduced there wont be any choice but to use nets. That is a draw back because we already have to deal with nets for catfish in the river. I will say that I've talked to a well known catfish tourney guy and he says that asian carp are excellent cut bait for catfish because they are very bloody. SHHHH, you didn't hear that from me.