Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Got this from the KDFW

They are asking for your help.
    Dear Tournament Directors and Organizers,

As you may already be aware, Asian Carp have successfully made their way into some of Kentucky’s biggest lakes and rivers. Their aggressive nature and ability to thrive in just about any type of water conditions can lead to a variety of problems for our state’s most valuable sportfish populations. It has always been a top priority of the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources (KDFWR) to monitor these invasive species. However, now that the Asian Carp are well-established in areas like western Kentucky, the KDFWR has become focused on preventing their spread into other parts of the state while attempting to reduce their numbers and minimizing their impact on resident fish populations everywhere.

This is the main reason for contacting you today. The KDFWR realizes that as someone who organizes/schedules fishing tournaments, it is likely that you know several anglers who have spent their time on Kentucky’s lakes and rivers. Hence, we would greatly appreciate if you could help us spread the word about the efforts to keep Asian Carp from getting into other areas of Kentucky. Currently, we are asking that you could let as many anglers as possible know about a short online survey that is available via the home page of the KDFWR website (Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources - Homepage). The primary topic of this survey is likely to be important to anglers everywhere as we are trying to get input on the practice of capturing live bait from one body of water and then using them to catch fish at another. Unfortunately, young Asian Carp often have an uncanny resemblance to several types of shad that happen to be the most common species of live bait caught and used by Kentucky anglers. Because it is usually quite difficult to tell the difference between shad and these small Asian Carp, the anglers could be unknowingly helping them move into areas where they have not been able to get to on their own.

Again, we are really hoping that you will be able to assist us with this matter either by distributing this email to the anglers in your tournament(s) and/or bass club or by directly encouraging them to participate in the online survey. The survey itself is completely anonymous and we are not asking for the participant’s names, or any other contact information. There should be a flyer attached to this email that will provide additional information on the live bait issue. If there are any further questions, feel free to contact the fisheries division of the KDFWR. We thank you for taking the time to read this and for any further assistance you can provide in this effort.

Regards,

Ron Brooks
    Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources
    Fisheries Division
    #1 Sportsman's Lane
    Frankfort, KY 40601
    (502) 564-7109 ext. 4466
    Ron.Brooks@ky.gov

Did you know...The world record smallmouth bass (11 lb. 15 oz) was caught in Kentucky?
    Experience the Unbridled Spirit of Kentucky
    Kentucky Unbridled Spirit Kentucky.gov:

Post Thanks / Like
    I completed this survey via Facebook. If you "like" Kentucky Afield on facebook they survey was on there.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, trout for one....Lake Erie strain Walleye is another, Hybrid Stripped bass is another, I am also fairly sure that Dale Hollow gets stocked with non-native Black-nose crappie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    Well, trout for one....Lake Erie strain Walleye is another, Hybrid Stripped bass is another, I am also fairly sure that Dale Hollow gets stocked with non-native Black-nose crappie.
    Are you serious? That is fish that we all fish for and they are not having a impact on the lakes like the asian carp are. The fish and wildlfe did not put asian carp in our waters. So Im guessing you dont have clue to what your talking about. If you need to know more about them if you have about go to Ky lake or Berkley go in to a cove and idle around for awhile.

Watch your languange on this board.
    Last edited by Dave Stewart; 02-12-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah LOL, I'm not "restornator". I support the KDFWR in both their poll and their plans for eradicating the Asian Carp. I just took it upon myself to note that the KDFWR does indeed stock non-native species in our waters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but asian carp were brought to the united states by both farmers and fisheries agencies. it's now illegal to own a grass carp that isn't triploid (sterile), which were introduced to control hydrilla. Zebra mussels were introduced by farmers to control blue-green algae, subsequently the government introduced the native predator of the zebra mussel into US waters, which are outcompeting indigenous species. The Erie canal introduced sea lamprey to the great lakes. Largemouth have been stocked all over the world. Flathead catfish, striped bass, channel catfish, blue catfish, pike, trout, collectively have done more damage than all asian carp combined. Fish and wildlife don't even protect the fish with the best genes. Have you ever heard of a place where there was a size maximum?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by restornator View Post
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but asian carp were brought to the united states by both farmers and fisheries agencies. it's now illegal to own a grass carp that isn't triploid (sterile), which were introduced to control hydrilla. Zebra mussels were introduced by farmers to control blue-green algae, subsequently the government introduced the native predator of the zebra mussel into US waters, which are outcompeting indigenous species. The Erie canal introduced sea lamprey to the great lakes. Largemouth have been stocked all over the world. Flathead catfish, striped bass, channel catfish, blue catfish, pike, trout, collectively have done more damage than all asian carp combined. Fish and wildlife don't even protect the fish with the best genes. Have you ever heard of a place where there was a size maximum?
    Well I your right. Im sorry for being a a$$. You are one of type of guys no matter what the KFW does you will bad mouth them. And as many other do not think the fish you named have or will do the damage that the asians will do. If the other fish had bad impacts on the bodys of water than they would stop stocking them. And yes ive heard of size max.