Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Asian carp tourny at Ky lake

I saw in the paper.this going to happen in mid March. Open.to commerical fisherman only. How will they fish for them, rod and reel, net what?. Will this effect spring crappie, bass it.. just curious.
    Dog

Post Thanks / Like

The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources is putting together this unique event for March 12-13 at Kentucky and Barkley lakes in the western end of the state.

"We believe this is the first freshwater tournament for commercial anglers in the country," said Ron Brooks, fisheries director for Kentucky Fish and Wildlife. "Commercial anglers are the most effective way to control Asian carp, so we thought that we'd make a competition out of the effort."

Asian carp species of concern include bighead carp, silver carp and black carp. These fish were brought to America by fish farmers in the 1970s. They escaped into the wild soon afterward and soon became established in the Mississippi River.

These carp first appeared in the tailwaters of Barkley and Kentucky lakes in 1987. Since then, Asian carp have spread throughout the entire 665 miles of the Ohio River bordering Kentucky. They also have spread into the Kentucky River, Green River, Salt River and the Rough River.

Nationally, Asian carp have spread throughout the Mississippi River basin and could threaten the Great Lakes if they make it past electrical barriers.

"Asian carp are a threat to our native species and habitats because they compete with other fish for the plankton which forms the base of the food chain," Brooks explained. "They grow large - a bighead carp caught in Missouri weighed 111 pounds - and breed prolifically. Young sport fish like crappie and bass, and other plankton feeders such as paddlefish, shad and buffalo, are being robbed of the food they need to thrive."

Plankton feeders such as bighead and silver carp are not very susceptible to being caught with bait on a hook, although they are often caught by snagging. Netting is the most effective means to harvest large numbers of these fish.

Kentucky's tournament is being held in the middle of the week to avoid conflicts with recreational anglers. Volunteer observer, consisting mainly of sport anglers, will keep records of anything other than rough fish being caught and released.

Brooks said the tournament is being held in mid-March so that fish can be removed before they have a chance to spawn. "We want to impact that next generation," he added.

A sighting by a commercial angler on Kentucky Lake last fall is giving officials a greater sense of urgency to tackle the problem. "Right about dusk, he saw a huge school of carp just underneath the surface," Brooks said. "He reported there were fish from bank to bank, and as far up the lake and down the lake as he could see. That's why this tournament is so important."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1820687909.jpg 
Views:	579 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	4879  
    Last edited by peter; 02-17-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    A sighting by a commercial angler on Kentucky Lake last fall is giving officials a greater sense of urgency to tackle the problem. "Right about dusk, he saw a huge school of carp just underneath the surface," Brooks said. "He reported there were fish from bank to bank, and as far up the lake and down the lake as he could see. That's why this tournament is so important."
    Bank to bank. Wow.

What a great idea to have this tourney. Now if somebody can figure how to get rid of these fish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Last year while fishing ledges on ky. I noticed they were spooked easily by geese flying low to the water. On this weekend I was there, the wind wasn't blowing and the water was slick. These geese would fly by and you could see the carp splash all the way down the lake as they flew. Kinda gives you an idea how thick they really are. Wearing good sunglasses you could see several schools of fish about 4' long swimming by.
    The fish weren't doing much so had to occupy my time until the next bite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raydaver View Post
    Last year while fishing ledges on ky. I noticed they were spooked easily by geese flying low to the water. On this weekend I was there, the wind wasn't blowing and the water was slick. These geese would fly by and you could see the carp splash all the way down the lake as they flew. Kinda gives you an idea how thick they really are. Wearing good sunglasses you could see several schools of fish about 4' long snwimming by.
    The fish weren't doing much so had to occupy my time until the next bite.
    When they are the flats you can get them going with a rattle trap. And on the ledges when you can see them I throw a dd22 at them just to see them take off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by procraft 192 super pro View Post
    When they are the flats you can get them going with a rattle trap. And on the ledges when you can see them I throw a dd22 at them just to see them take off.
    Might as well have some fun as long as the bass aren't biting.