Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I have seen guys snag carp they throw what amounts to a drop shot rig, but much bigger. Instead of bait hooks they have huge trebles. They seem to prefer high ratio baitcasters. The rig is launched across a likely spot, as long as it is outside of the "no snagging beyond this point" sign and then is ripped through the water with large swooping strokes of the broomstick like rod.
    As previously stated this is for rough fish, but anything else that gets in the way has to be thrown back. Usually these guys toss the shad to the side and when they have enough they go back to catfishing on the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tyme it is illegal to snag anywhere in IND. do to some greedy spoonbillers a few years back. You can snag on the Ky side,but as stated it is illegal to snag from a boat. Hope this helps. Chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    Well ain't this a bummer!! I just wanted to have a little fun and put my small dent in the carp population.

Thanks for all the info.

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fish View Post
    Well ain't this a bummer!! I just wanted to have a little fun and put my small dent in the carp population.

Thanks for all the info.
    Bait them to the surface with a stale box of Corn Pops, then run over them with the outboard. (Wear head and chest protection while doing so.)

And you all wonder why I bought a hardtop boat? It's more comfortable than a motorcycle helmet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    Tyme it is illegal to snag anywhere in IND. do to some greedy spoonbillers a few years back. You can snag on the Ky side,but as stated it is illegal to snag from a boat. Hope this helps. Chuck
    KY. Feb.1st Thru May10th.....I think year round below KY. and Barkley.Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Coyotes?

I'd like to stake out the field and shoot the coyotes when they come to feed on the carp.

Good to see people getting rid of the carp.

I'm sure that IDNR is thinking about how to get rid of these stupid carp. But there is a lot of red tape that those in IDNR have to go though.

These things should have never been allowed into this country but they are here now and we need to figure out how to solve this problem.

You can bet that there area a lot of people wanting to get rid of them but this is a pretty big problem that may not be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM4A1 View Post
    use a spoon with a bigger treble and say you were fishing for bass or whatever. I was fishing a 7" swimbait with two trebles last year and accidentally hooked one on the ohio. about an hour later (12 lbs line) I had that 40 pounder in the boat. killed the slimy thing and threw it in the middle of a field for the coyotes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    KY. Feb.1st Thru May10th.....I think year round below KY. and Barkley.Chuck
    No, not year round anywhere. I posted the reg earlier in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    i say just carry a shotgun and shoot them when they jump. its got to be cheaper than buying clay targets and just as much fun

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
    No, not year round anywhere. I posted the reg earlier in this thread.
    Toad you might check Tenn. river below Ky. dam special regulations. Chuck..... I would cut and paste them but I'm not that good on the computer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    I'd like to stake out the field and shoot the coyotes when they come to feed on the carp.

Good to see people getting rid of the carp.

I'm sure that IDNR is thinking about how to get rid of these stupid carp. But there is a lot of red tape that those in IDNR have to go though.

These things should have never been allowed into this country but they are here now and we need to figure out how to solve this problem.

You can bet that there area a lot of people wanting to get rid of them but this is a pretty big problem that may not be solved.
    That is what I do. Got too many of them around here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Bait them to the surface with a stale box of Corn Pops, then run over them with the outboard. (Wear head and chest protection while doing so.)

And you all wonder why I bought a hardtop boat? It's more comfortable than a motorcycle helmet.
    Just for laughs bait them to the surface with the stale corn pops when jet skis are in the area. That will take care of two pains at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like KY's effort to fight them by stocking Alligator Gar. These things get huge and wouldn't have a problem taking on a big carp especially in the smaller streams and rivers that flow in to the Ohio River. They are supposed to be a rough fish's worst nightmare.