Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crankbait rod

Post Thanks / Like

crankbait rod

I was looking for a good crankbait rod that I can throw lures that get down 6 foot to 14 foot deep. Any suggestions what would be good for that rang thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a big fan of the Bass Pro Shops Crankin' Stick. I have a 7' MH for deep divers and I don't have any complaints. For the size of crankbaits you're wanting to throw, I would go with the 7' Med.

Post Thanks / Like

Crankbait Rod

I have a 7'11" Shimano Crucial I am selling for $90. It is a crank bait rod. I am in Louisville.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Bass Pro Shops Crankin' Stick. I have a 7' MH for deep divers and I don't have any complaints. For the size of crankbaits you're wanting to throw, I would go with the 7' Med.

i agree....as a money saver i'd go with the 7'm crankin stick....correct me if im wrong here but i'm wanting to think they run in the 79.00 range....i have had a few of them, work pretty well for me...i also had some of the bionic blade casting rod's 7'm with the split grip...i was pretty surprised with those too to be in the same dollar range....i matched them all up with a 5.4:1 bps xtreme which at the time was going for 79.00 (probably cheaper now)....but the setup works great for divers 8-12ft range.

Post Thanks / Like

Okuma EVX

7Ft. medium is what I use. It's a fiberglass rod, but is nice. I bought it from tacklewarehouse & came with a rod sleeve for $79.00 I think it was. Good rod for the money in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have two crankin rods,One is a Veritas Winch 7,Medium for my Squarbills and up to some 10ft lighter cranks.Works really good nice Tip .But Heavier cranks do not work well on this one .

The second is a Veritas 7'6 MH for all my Deep cranks and Heavy ones in the 12-20+ range.I have only got a chance to use it one time so far but seems to perform Nice.Good Casting Distance And handles the deep divers pretty well.But the most important thing i think in crankbait fishing is your gear ratio of your reel.The same crank bait at a 6:5:1 will wear me out all day fishing it and pull like a truck.But that same crank on a 5:4:1 Has very little resistance

Post Thanks / Like
    So the lower gear ratio is better for cranking deep diving baits? I guess the higher gear ratio reels are mader for spinnerbaits where you crank them in real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ls1chris View Post
    I have two crankin rods,One is a Veritas Winch 7,Medium for my Squarbills and up to some 10ft lighter cranks.Works really good nice Tip .But Heavier cranks do not work well on this one .

The second is a Veritas 7'6 MH for all my Deep cranks and Heavy ones in the 12-20+ range.I have only got a chance to use it one time so far but seems to perform Nice.Good Casting Distance And handles the deep divers pretty well.But the most important thing i think in crankbait fishing is your gear ratio of your reel.The same crank bait at a 6:5:1 will wear me out all day fishing it and pull like a truck.But that same crank on a 5:4:1 Has very little resistance

Post Thanks / Like

Gear Ratio

How would a higher gear ratio wear you out as opposed to a lower gear ratio?

If you are going to be worn out; the lower gear ratio will wear you out because it takes up less line per turn of the handle. it seems therefore if one was to get worn out; they would be more worn out by the reel with the lower gear ration.

The benefit of the lower gear ratio for crankbaits is that the lure will stay in the depth you want the bait in longer because you are naturally bringing it back slower. You cannot bring it back any faster than the rate of say 5.4:1. Some guys say they can compensate even with a faster reel by reeling slower. They may be able to reel a 7:1 slower to keep the crankbait in the strike zone longer, but I don't really believe they can do it sufficiently to compensate for how long a bait will be in the strike zone using a reel that is 5.4:1. Additionally; if the theory that they can slow down sufficiently to compensate hold true; then one using a 5.4:1 reel can slow down even more than one using a 7:1 reel; so the 5.4:1 reel will always allow you to be in the strike zone longer with a crankbait than the 7:1 reel.

Post Thanks / Like

BPS Rod

I like BPS rods; but they do not have lifetime warranty that you get with Shimano. A new Shimano of course would cost twice as much as a BPS rod. An of course the best rod in my opinion would be GLoomis which would cost 4-5 times as much as BPS rod. They all catch fish. But if you fish a lot; I would upgrade. If you fish a little, go with BPS.

Post Thanks / Like
    If gloomis is hands down the best most senstive greatest warranty rod why dont the guys fishing for half million bucks use them.please dont respond endorsment cause beside kvd aint none of em getting 1/2million dollar sponser dollars.just always wondered.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will tell you i ask rick clunn this very same? At bassmasters classic in 2010,and he anwsered it with no hesitation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southern View Post
    If gloomis is hands down the best most senstive greatest warranty rod why dont the guys fishing for half million bucks use them.please dont respond endorsment cause beside kvd aint none of em getting 1/2million dollar sponser dollars.just always wondered.
    Skeet Reese got over 600K from endorsments. So yeah there is something to it. His rods are junk but enough about that. For crankin I love a glass rod.