Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: side imaging

Post Thanks / Like

side imaging

Looking at hummingbirds, my question is if I buy one and mount it on my console and fix it where it spinsso you can drive and see it from the front, is the one transducer on the back will be sufficent or can you get a trolling motor one and somehow switch between transducers. I want to be able to use it when using both motors so whats the best setup for a large aluminium bass boat?

Post Thanks / Like

What You Need

is to set up a complete second station up front with a trolling motor transducer on the trolling motor. There are a lot of folks that do this & in this way if they get another unit they just get one that takes the same mount & transducer they already have so when & if they buy another unit they only have to buy the head unit to have it on both ends or they can simply use the one unit to scan when idling & then switch it up front to fish & not have to buy another at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, my wife would shoot me if I bought two. What I was getting at if I a transduser on the back to use while driving, then spin my unit around to see it from the front and drop my trolling motor, will it work better if I had a tranducer on the tmotor . Thought moving the unit from front to console would wear out the connection points.Is there a switch that would alow to switch between tranducers?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Lowrance so I don't know the Hummingbird details but I know about the technology they offer at their site. A quick glance at their site shows they sell NMEA2K Ethernet accessories. This is an Ethernet switch:
    AS ETH 5PS :: Humminbird

What this will do is allow you to plug different Ethernet devices together and match the ones you want together. An Ethernet device could be a head, transducer, motor information link or maybe a GPS antenna. This tells me you can do what you want through this switch.

I don't know if their transducers are Ethernet native or if they need an adapter. There would be extra cables as well. With Ethernet, you would probably only be able to select one transducer at a time, but that sounds like what you want.

You will also have to deal with the side imaging being turned and twisted constantly as the trolling motor turns versus reading the one in the back that will always show the side imaging with the direction of the boat. It probably depends on the lakes you fish as to whether it would be worth the TM mount or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    To answer your question, yes you can just turn it around. I use to do this with my Raymarine C120, I would pivot it so I could see when casting for stripers on the front deck. The down fall it what you are looking at on the screen is at the back of the boat not the front where you are at. It is not recomended to mount on trolling motor becuase it is going to be all over the place when you turn your motor left and right. With standard down scan its not that big a deal becuase its still seeing the same image straight down, but with side scan its all over the place when you turn the trolling motor.
    If you are in deep water, it being in the back is less of a problem than if you are in shallow water you will just always have to keep in mind it is reading at the back of the boat.
    I too have the lowrance vs the Hummingbird but its the same principal.
    The side scan works really well, I personally bought the Lowrance because of the structure scan but the side scan works very well. Now Hummingbird has the 360 scan but I just dont see myself putting that big pole on the back of my boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info, think i will mount it on the back and after a few trips I will get use to it.Left is right, right. I want it to chase striper schools

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellkat View Post
    Looking at hummingbirds, my question is if I buy one and mount it on my console and fix it where it spinsso you can drive and see it from the front, is the one transducer on the back will be sufficent or can you get a trolling motor one and somehow switch between transducers. I want to be able to use it when using both motors so whats the best setup for a large aluminium bass boat?
    Yes you can mount a 2d transducer on your TM and HB has a switch that will let you select from the back to the front, I am getting ready to do this my self. But like you said it will take time to figure out what is what when you turn the unit around, but I wonder if you turn the transducer around will that make left "left" and right "right"?

Billy

Post Thanks / Like
    I've turned a console mounted unit around using the transom mounted transducer as well. All I cared about on Cumberland was over all depth. Maybe someone with a TM mounted side finder can chime in as to if it works well and if the pit falls Justin and I have mentioned are founded.

I may mount a TM transducer to my boat but it wouldn't be a side imaging. And with the Lowrance network, I believe I can set that transducer to it's own window while viewing the side image in another. I don't think Ethernet will allow this and you must choose one transducer or the other.

You also want to keep in mind that side imaging works best at at least trolling speeds. It won't help much when you are sitting next to a brush pile or off a point. So maybe a standard puck off the TM would do the trick if you would rather see what is under the TM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellkat View Post
    Thanks for the info, think i will mount it on the back and after a few trips I will get use to it.Left is right, right. I want it to chase striper schools
    One on the back will do the trick for you. If you turn the unit around then left will be right. You are correct..

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I remember a "flip" feature on my Lowrance where you can have the right on the left and left on the right. I wondered why they had this and now I know. Does anyone know if the Humminbird. has this? That means with a couple of clicks you can turn the unit around and left will be left, right will be right.

Post Thanks / Like
    So the side imagining wont work well setting still

Post Thanks / Like
    No. They usually do well at 2-6 MPH. Now Humminbird has their 360 deal now and that is a REALLY cool deal. It's like a radar that sweeps below the boat all the way around to give a full 360 view under behind and in front of the boat. The beam sweeps so you could be standing still and get a good 360 view under the boat. Here's a link to their 360 page..

Humminbird: America?s favorite Fishfinder ? the leading innovator of Side Imaging technology