Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trolling motor battery decision

Confused on the best trolling motor battery to buy. I'm gonna hook up two. What's everybody's opinion?? Brand and where to get? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    That's another ask ten fisherman and get ten different answers kind of question. We use DEKA's but there are a lot of other quality brands on the market. There's a DEKA dealer here locally that my husband is friends with and that's one of the reasons we stick with DEKA's. Never had the first problem with one other than wearing it out with age and use.

For the most part though, if you buy any quality brand of battery it should serve you well if you maintain it properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I buy Dekas too and for the same reason as Sweetwater. You can get them from the distributor on Preston here in Louisville. I wouldn't say they are the absolute best battery but it's hard to beat the bang for the buck and I don't have issues with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    That's another ask ten fisherman and get ten different answers kind of question. We use DEKA's but there are a lot of other quality brands on the market. There's a DEKA dealer here locally that my husband is friends with and that's one of the reasons we stick with DEKA's. Never had the first problem with one other than wearing it out with age and use.

For the most part though, if you buy any quality brand of battery it should serve you well if you maintain it properly.
    What she said. It is not the brand so much as it is the way you maintain them. Follow the maintenance guidelines and you will get the most out of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Optima which in my opinion is a great battery they have more capacity and more speed in a trolling motor for same size battery. But they are expensive, I have 4 in my boat and I had to hide the reciept from momma when I got them........ I'm guessing if she saw the $1,300 reciept I would have to do an insurance claim when I came home and saw the pile of ashes from fiberglass resin. One thing they will not put up with its draining it all the way dead and keep draining it like if you had a draw somewhere, it will ruin an Optima. Its not good on other batteries either but a real killer for an Optima.
    I have never used a Deka but I hear alot of good things and alot of people use them as its obvious in the first 3 posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aren't Optimas a lot lighter too? if so, that could be a factor for some.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking to Buy also

Just to confirm....I am looking to purchase some trolling motor batteries for the first time and I want to confirm what I have been reading. I am better off buying deep cycle batteries for my trolling motor. I have two trolling motor batteries (both died over the winter) and a seperate starting battery. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Defiantly deep cycle for trolling motor, I run another deep cycle for my big motor also because it does not have charging capablity and all my other accessories run of it also

Post Thanks / Like
    I have good luck out of walmart batteries , no haggle replacment if needed. Main thing is I plug them up as soon as I get home and unplug when charged.I plug them up the night before a trip and have had good luck. I used to leave my onboards plugged up continuous but lost a bank out of a charger and had a newer battery go bad quick.

Post Thanks / Like

Superlex

I use nothing but Superlex batteries. They are heavier which means more lead which means longer use time and longer life. Ky Battery Outlet sells them and the guy has the best prices, even better than Wally World. Also, these batteries are made in KY. I fish a lot and 4 yrs is not uncommon for my deep cycles. IMO these batteries are the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where is that battery oulet at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Type in trolling motor batteries in the search box below the big at at the top of the forum. You will find a lot.

I bought acDelco based on some posts on here four or five years ago. A four year battery is real food for me. I just bought two more. I get them at a KOI parts distributer in louisville. . About $115. Try get just a deep cycle as opposed to a starting/deep cycle combo.

(502) 969-5300

4001 Produce Rd, Louisville, KY 40218
    Near Newburg and South Side