Search Fishin.com

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

New Johnsonville or Bumpus Mills??

I'm planning my spring bluegill/shellcracker trip for this year and was looking for some advise. Normally I come down to the Big Sandy area the second week of may, but my buddy and I are thinking of a scenery change. Can I get any advise on the New Johnsonville area of Ky lake or the Bumpus Mills area of Barkley.... or should I stay with the Big sandy area?? Also looking for lodging. Thanks for any help!!!

Post Thanks / Like

the big sandy

Area is hard to beat for panfish,with motels nearby at paris landing on 79,new johnsonvile not familiar with the motel situation but back in beaver dam and in birdsong (has lilly pds) not only panfish but bass as well,main lake down there while many crappie fish its a bass place from rr bridge north to whiteoak with many shallow bars near the main channel cock full of grass and bass.Flats will have white bass and panfish to some degree.
    Gps is quite helpfull as can run aground in the middle.
    I live in buchanan and fish big sandy and newjohnsonville all the time but primary is bass for me.
    Id stay here on 79(fishtail lodge or lake motel) and take one day and drive down its 35 min drive,just to see how you like it launch either newjohnsonville or at birdsong resort,if launching at latter go back in not out to try the lilly pads,they hold nice panfish as well as bass.Taken about same time in may.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	somedaystheharewinssomedaysbelongtothetortise005.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	5075
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0002a.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	5076
    Last one is a byproduct a white bass its 3 ft of water back there max.Im bass fishing not panfishing still catch shellcrackers and gill and white bass on spinnerbaits etc.
    Would be glad to show the way one day,marked brushpile is also in it.