Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

high school fishin

So I just went to talk to my principal about the fishin team. . . Again. No luck. She says we cant start a team this year cause its already started. I thought you could join anytime. She also said we couldn't use the Ohio river or harrods creek to fish cause apparently there are certain places to fish. And she said you have to have a certain boat and I said yea a bass boat and she said there's a certain kind of bass boat...I don't think that's the case. I'm really sad and mad now. she said the earliest I could start one is next year

onemorecast56 Guest
    Your a lucky person,,lest you get a chance to have a team. I wish they had bass fishing teams when i was in school I sure would have joined,,but we woukld have had to use wooden rafts and cane poles...lol But take advanage of the chance to get one going...good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by onemorecast56 View Post
    Your a lucky person,,lest you get a chance to have a team. I wish they had bass fishing teams when i was in school I sure would have joined,,but we woukld have had to use wooden rafts and cane poles...lol But take advanage of the chance to get one going...good luck
    Doug, too many of us have fished with you. You would have been cut from the bass team because you cannot catch them, but you would have been the captain of the freshwater drum team. You didn't earn the nickname KVDRUM for nothing.

Secondly, you are so old you would have been fishing from a hollowed out log that you had to make yourself!

Kaite, keep fighting the good fight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never give up....better things too come

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember on previous thread of yours about this some members that themselves have gone down this road had given you some good advice about first needing to get a teacher as a sponsor, and that you should also first contact the National Youth Programs Manager of the Bass Federations. Did you try any of those things?

When dealing with red tape type of situations as these, my advise is to try and be as organized and professional as possible. Regroup, get all you ducks in a row, and then try again. Also you likely increase your chances of success if you get a number of other students and parents involved and wanting to sign up as well. The principle will take you more serious if there are a group of students and their parents interested. Basically things like this presents the principle with more work and worry, so if it is presented as something beneficial for a larger group of the student body the principle might view it entirely differently than if it mostly comes across as one student and their dad wanting to do it.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can fish the high School Opens without having a team. You can find those on their website.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking at the KHSAA fishing rules. WOW, i was wondering how they would go about it considering the KHSAA has ridiculous rules anyway but here is the best one.

*No student will be allowed to operate the outboard motor on the boat. Either a student or the coach (or other permitted person if it is the boat owner) may operate the trolling motor. The coach (or other permitted person if it is the boat owner) will be responsible for operating the outboard motor. The boat must observe all posted state and local speed restrictions. If no such restrictions are in place, the speed limit shall be 35 miles per hour.

At any rate, I would have loved to seen this as a sanctioned sport 7 or 8 years ago when i was in high school, i was trying to find more rules to try to help you out and see why your principle wouldnt let your school participate seems to be that she just doesnt want to waste her time with it. I'm sure you have looked over the rules but here is a link anyway http://khsaa.org/handbook/competitio...itionrules.pdf .

my advice is get more students and their parents in your school interested, make a presentation for you AD and Principle, then move up if you have to and show the board and/or superintendent. if there is enough people wanting it they will not say no.

Post Thanks / Like
    start a fishing club. you don't need to compete against other schools.

Post Thanks / Like
    @ Katie....good luck in your quest. A local school system has just started a league it was last minute, but some how got it approved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    So I just went to talk to my principal about the fishin team. . . Again. No luck. She says we cant start a team this year cause its already started. I thought you could join anytime. She also said we couldn't use the Ohio river or harrods creek to fish cause apparently there are certain places to fish. And she said you have to have a certain boat and I said yea a bass boat and she said there's a certain kind of bass boat...I don't think that's the case. I'm really sad and mad now. she said the earliest I could start one is next year
    I'm on the team at my school. It's first year seems like most teams only fish two lakes I know rockcastle county fishes lineville and cumberland. We can supply a boat but of you have a teacher who has a boat you can use there's if they'll drive you in it. And I only know of bass boats just being bass boats call her out on that. Or atleast I would

Post Thanks / Like

High School Fishing Info

Katie,

I am Tom Whittington Secretary / Treasure of the Kentucky Bass Federation. We have a Youth Director Gerald Smith and he is very involved with the KHSAA as well as the Kentucky Bass Federation Jr. Bassmasters. If you want help or need information he is the one to contact. He is a retired teacher and former athletic director from one of the Louisville area Schools and knows how to go about getting your Team started.

As far as needing boats I am sure that there are some local Bass Clubs in the area that would be able to help out as Boat Captains. I am also a member of the Barren Bassmasters and there are 3 of our members donating thier time as Boat Captains for the Barren County High School Bass Fishing Team this weekend at the KHSAA Lake Cumberland Regional Qualifier. We are trying to support our local Schools. Other Bass Clubs or Members of Fisin.com would probably be willing to help out if they are asked, so dont let the boat problem keep it from happening. I have our clubs web site listed below it is a good source for all the links avaialble.

This is Gerald's contact information:
    Gerald Smith
    502-303-7401
    KBF Youth Director
    jerrys40214@yahoo.com

Thanks,
    Tom Whittington
    Barren Bassmasters

Post Thanks / Like
    I strongly agree with posts that said getting organized and finding more students and parents to get involved. This will be your number one goal. Number two... Do some research and find out how a fishing team can make money for the school. This will get the attention of your principal pretty quickly. Deep down schools are just another form of business and as everyone knows... money talks!

Find out what a successful team could earn for their school and also think of fund raisers that could had. Not only ones to raise money for the school or team but also what charity groups the team could help. Principals are suckers for two things... Money and positive publicity.

Good luck! I truly hope you succeed!