Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Oil leaking out of outboard engine....HELP

I have a 78 evenrude 115 outboard and there is oil running out of the exhaust holes and out from behind the prop. Any ideas of what this could be??

Post Thanks / Like
    What color is it

Post Thanks / Like
    Black

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonlawnservice View Post
    I have a 78 evenrude 115 outboard and there is oil running out of the exhaust holes and out from behind the prop. Any ideas of what this could be??
    Since you just posted this, I'm guessing you ran it with the muffs on with the engine having no boat weight load on it. Is that right? If you have run your motor at low rpm without load in cold weather, it is completely normal that unburned black oil drips out of exhaust or drain holes in lower unit afterwards, almost every two-stroke I've had did that. I doubt it's a problem. If I accidentally got too much oil in the gas, it would smoke, but also dump some oil thru the exhaust. The smoke is the key there, so if your's isn't excessively smoking I doubt thats it. I'd try dumping the boat in a lake, and run it up to speed under a good load. Then slow down. stop, and look for oil. I think after a couple hard runs under load it will clean up.

Post Thanks / Like
    oil

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Since you just posted this, I'm guessing you ran it with the muffs on with the engine having no boat weight load on it. Is that right? If you have run your motor at low rpm without load in cold weather, it is completely normal that unburned black oil drips out of exhaust or drain holes in lower unit afterwards, almost every two-stroke I've had did that. I doubt it's a problem. If I accidentally got too much oil in the gas, it would smoke, but also dump some oil thru the exhaust. The smoke is the key there, so if your's isn't excessively smoking I doubt thats it. I'd try dumping the boat in a lake, and run it up to speed under a good load. Then slow down. stop, and look for oil. I think after a couple hard runs under load it will clean up.
    ive never seen this happen on a motor unless it has problems...mine smoked a ton on muffs. no oil running out anywhere. sounds like hes got lower unit seals leaking. check the oil

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the leak enough just to know its oil or we talking a puddle? A little or few drops is normal for me, running a 1976 85 hp javelin, this motor has been to canada numerous times and been out 6 times this year. Ive run this motor for 15 years, and my only complaint is it likes gas

Post Thanks / Like
    Black

unburnt gas and oil.

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    unburnt gas and oil.
    I agree with ya. Don't see how it could be gear oil as even if the gear seal leak, you not be getting that oil sucked into the engine and blow out the exhaust. To seperately sealed systems.

Black = burnt.

Never seen lower unit oil black......even when very old.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a '91 Evinrude 150 that does the same thing. I was concerned at first, but 20 years later it is stll running strong.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 88 Evenrude 90 and does the same thing. I asked the Marine repair shop about it and they said it was unused 2 cycle oil coming out of the exhaust. My engine runs great. Get it on the water and open it up as Bob suggested. You should be fine.