Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Falls of the Ohio bank fishing

Hello everyone. Just joined the forums and have already gained some great information. I have 3 and 6 year old boys and I have been wanting to take them down to the Falls to fish. We will be bank fishing and I need some guidance on the best spot and/or safest spot for young children. For them, any caught fish is exciting. So I don't need to be searching for monsters. Of course I myself would like to catch some good size fish.......

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that it is great that you want to take your boys fishing. I wish more dads would do so. However, I don't think I would take kids that young to the falls, especially if you go by yourself. It is hard to keep track of boys that young, especially if you are fishing also. The falls can be unforgiving when they are running any water through the dam. If you want to fish there, I would go there by myself first and see what you think. Maybe someone can chime in with some local ponds or small lakes you could take them to. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. My 6 year old and I spend most of last summer in Floyd's Fork at the canoe ramp by Shelbyville Rd, and a bit in the lakes there at Miles park. We have also fished at Long Run park. The Fork has provided the most fun for us. But for now, it still too cold to wade the creek. So I was going to try the Falls. I have been down there with my family in the past, but just to do the usual park stuff. We walked down along the river in front of the Interpretive Center, and it did look a bit hazardous. Was just hoping there were some better spots. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Straight down from the museum is fairly good to fish and the rocks are flat in for easier walking. People take groups of kids to that part to explore the fossil beds. I have managed to pull a few decent fish from that spot. Had one snap 20lb braid from that spot monday. Just keep an eye on them and as long as you trust them you will be ok. That spot gets alot of people because it is easily acessable.

Post Thanks / Like
    maximarx:
    I'm an old grandpa fuddy duddy but I encourage you to put PFDs on children that young. One slip and that current will sweep them away. Please be safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    These guys are not kidding. I was down there with my six year old one Sunday several years ago. A couple in their twenties walked between the shore and us. When I got home I saw one of them on the news. The other one slipped on a rock, was swept away and drowned.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember that Peter. One slipped in and My memory is correct the other went in after him. A couple boaters went to their aid and was able to get one of them. Sad and can happen very fast. The water sometimes doesn't look like its moving fast but it is. I love fishing the falls but after 9 years I still have not taken either of my sons. Even if I had someone with me just to help watch them I wouldn't take them.

If you do happen to take them make sure they have in life jackets. Might be good to wear one yourself incase you have to go in after one of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fish View Post
    maximarx:
    I'm an old grandpa fuddy duddy but I encourage you to put PFDs on children that young. One slip and that current will sweep them away. Please be safe.
    I agree with tyme, there is no shame in wearing a pfd, I was down there once when the water was low and not flowing all that fast sliped in and it took me down about 30 or 40 yards real fast and that was in water shallow enough to stand in, luckily I got back on my feet and walked out, respect the river!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. We'll see. I might just take my 6 year old, atleast I'd only have 1 to watch over. We went to Miles Park last weekend and had no success. Looking forward to the warmer weather and wading Floyd's Fork.
    Either way, we are going back out this Friday and Saturday. Any other suggestions for good spots is appreciated. Might try Fisherman's Lake or go back out to Watterson some time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly the places you are going are perfect for your youngest. Mcneeley has bank access and a fishing pier. Try some farm ponds. Farm pond owners are suckers for little kids. Dad used to have me go up and ask for permission. But man that area of the river can be a monster and kids just don't have the same fear we have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maximarx View Post
    Thanks everyone. We'll see. I might just take my 6 year old, atleast I'd only have 1 to watch over. We went to Miles Park last weekend and had no success. Looking forward to the warmer weather and wading Floyd's Fork.
    Either way, we are going back out this Friday and Saturday. Any other suggestions for good spots is appreciated. Might try Fisherman's Lake or go back out to Watterson some time.
    Have you tried Waverly Park lake? It is perfect for youngsters, fish from the dam side of the corner it forms with the bank near the parking lot. Cast an appropriately sized gold panther martin out as far as you can parallel to the bank and retrieve it as slowly and steadily as can and still keep the blade spinning. Kills em'. Folks will think you're Bill Dance or something. If you go out to Fisherman's Park there are supposed to be six 'lakes', of which I only enjoy fishing three. The rest are merely glorified cow ponds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, we went to Fisherman's 2 weekends ago, and it was extremely uneventful. Maybe not warm enough yet. And I've taken them to Long Run park a few times. The fish there are very well trained aren't they? Heh. This past Sunday we drove up to Lake Jericho. It was our first time there. We really enjoyed it. Unfortunately I started getting bites just as we were ready to leave. I might have to try Waverly some time. My big disappointment so far has been Floyd's Fork. I think it will be better when the water is warmer and we can wade a bit. But the 2 times we have gone down there have been way too many people down around the canoe ramp at Miles park. Anyway, thank you all for your continued guidance.